Do the crime, do the time, or Shakespeare

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    crime Time
In summary, a recent story on CNN reported that in New York, children who are facing trouble with the law are given the option to participate in Shakespearian theater instead of serving time in jail or completing community service. This sparked a discussion about the effectiveness of this approach and whether it is considered a form of cruel and unusual punishment. Some suggest that making the children take extra math courses would be a better solution, while others argue that physical pain and embarrassment can be effective deterrents. However, one person points out that children may actually learn something useful through participating in theater.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't see this on the internet yet, but there was just a story on CNN about kids in trouble, in New York, who are given the option to do Shakespearian theater instead of time in jail [maybe community service?].

I didn't know there was a difference. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there something in the Constitution about cruel and unusual punishment :biggrin:

Why don't they just make them take extra math couces?

scott1 said:
Why don't they just make them take extra math couces?

Precisely why.

I am sure pain is the only deterant these kids know, some times the pain
of embarassment is more than physical pain, but i would still kick their asses
first.

cronxeh said:
Precisely why.
Because atleast they'll learn somthing useful

scott1 said:
Because atleast they'll learn somthing useful

Your spelling was the reason. I don't usually ask questions to answers I already possesses :rolleyes:

What is the meaning behind the phrase "Do the crime, do the time"?

The phrase "Do the crime, do the time" means that if a person commits a crime, they must face the consequences and serve their punishment.

Who is Shakespeare and why is he often associated with this phrase?

William Shakespeare was an English playwright and poet who wrote many famous works, including plays such as Hamlet and Macbeth. He is often associated with the phrase "Do the crime, do the time" because it is a common theme in his plays, where characters who commit crimes are ultimately punished for their actions.

What does Shakespeare's use of this phrase in his plays tell us about his views on justice?

Shakespeare's use of this phrase in his plays suggests that he believed in the concept of retributive justice, where individuals should be punished for their wrongdoings in order to maintain social order and balance.

Is "Do the crime, do the time" still relevant in modern society?

Yes, the phrase is still relevant in modern society as it reflects the idea that individuals are responsible for their actions and must face the consequences for breaking the law.

Are there any criticisms or controversies surrounding the phrase "Do the crime, do the time"?

Some critics argue that this phrase perpetuates a cycle of punishment and does not address the root causes of crime. There may also be debates about the fairness and effectiveness of certain punishments. Ultimately, the use of this phrase may spark discussions about the criminal justice system and its flaws.