Understanding Perception: The Role of Our Senses in Interpreting Mass and Colors

• B
  • Thread starter satyesu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses how our brain interprets colors, tastes, smells, and sounds, and how objects have mass even before we touch them. The speaker also mentions that nature does not need humans to exist and that discussions about the effects of measurements on reality often lead to nowhere. The thread is then closed due to its lack of scientific basis and potential for unproductive discussions.
satyesu
There is no color until the brain interprets wavelengths as such. Same for taste and smell; they are just chemicals until we use our senses. Sounds are vibrations until they hit our ears. Do things have mass before we touch them?

Physics news on Phys.org
satyesu said:
Do things have mass before we touch them?
Yes.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
How do you know?

satyesu said:
How do you know?
Experiments to measure the mass of objects provide definite results even when no human brains or other sensory apparatus is involved. This is altogether different from the example of color that you cited above, where until we just have light of a particular wavelength until the brain interprets it.

Likes Evo
satyesu said:
How do you know?
I'm humble enough to know that nature doesn't need ME to be. And for several hours each day, I don't touch my bed. Yet, it is always there, where I left it.

This thread bears any basis. For discussions whether measurements or observations affects reality, please search for the dozens of dozens of threads in the Quantum Physics Forum about QM interpretations. But be warned: they always run into nowhere land. For this reason I close this thread, formally because it is not based on scientific material, informally because there is no chance, that anything useful develops from the question.

Thread closed.

Likes bhobba, Evo, davenn and 3 others

1. What is perception?

Perception refers to the way in which our senses interpret and make sense of the world around us. It involves the processing of sensory information through the brain and the application of prior knowledge and experiences to understand and interpret the stimuli.

2. How do our senses play a role in perception?

Our senses, including sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell, are the means by which we receive information from the environment. They work together to gather information and send it to the brain for processing, which ultimately leads to our perception of the world.

3. How does perception influence our understanding of mass?

Perception plays a crucial role in our understanding of mass. It allows us to perceive the weight, size, and density of objects through our sense of touch and visual perception. This helps us navigate and interact with our surroundings in a safe and efficient manner.

4. How do our senses impact how we perceive colors?

Our senses, particularly sight, are crucial in how we perceive colors. Our eyes receive light waves of different lengths, and our brain interprets these signals to create the perception of color. Our prior experiences and cultural influences also play a role in how we perceive and interpret color.

5. What are some factors that can influence our perception?

Several factors can influence our perception, including our senses, prior knowledge and experiences, cultural and social influences, emotions, and expectations. These factors can all impact how we interpret and understand the world around us.