Do you have a song that elicits very specific memories?

In summary, the oldies station featured "Cherish" by the Association and it brought back memories of when I was a Freshman in high school. I got chosen by a friend's sister and she wasn't big on perfume, but smelled lightly of Right-Guard deodorant. The first song played at the sock-hop for the Freshman-Senior waltz was "Cute and Chesty in her pull-over sweater." Worked like a charm!
turbo
Gold Member
I just heard "Cherish" by the Association on the oldies station, and immediately flashed back to the Freshman welcome dance in HS. It was a VERY hot song, and it was the first song played at that sock-hop for the Freshman-Senior waltz. I got chosen by a friend's sister. Cute and chesty in her pull-over sweater. She wasn't big on perfume, but smelled lightly of Right-Guard deodorant.

That one dance made the previous week's worth of Freshman hazing just fade away.

Physics news on Phys.org
MmmBop by Hanson. Unwilling to discuss the specific memories for fear of infractions.

FlexGunship said:
MmmBop by Hanson. Unwilling to discuss the specific memories for fear of infractions.

This song was one of the most efficient fund raising songs ever. Numerous schools, organizations, radio stations, etc would play this song once per hour, every hour, until monetary donations, food donations, etc, reached some specific goal. Worked like a charm!

Considering that aspect of the song, I can only imagine you trapping some poor girl in the elevator and playing that song over and over until she submits to your will.

"Lovin You" by Minnie Riperton elicits specific memories for me. It brings back memories of a hitch hiking trip to California.

A black couple, also on their way to California picked me up along with a Native American and a hippie. The guy let the girl come along because he needed someone to share traveling expenses, but constantly made sure the girl knew there was no chance of them having a relationship once they reached California. The girl was obviously coming along because, regardless of their agreement, she was sure she would land this guy by time they reached California and she constantly played a Minnie Riperton tape during the night just to put him in a more romantic mood.

The van was having troubles and the couple stopped to get a new carburetor in Amarillo. While waiting for service, the guy was browsing the new tires and the girl forbid him from buying new tires, since they absolutely had to replace the carburetor. Naturally, we left the shop with 4 new tires and a can of carburetor cleaner.

The van's engine was accessed through the center console, so, by time we reached Tucumcari, everyone but the driver had passed out and he was on his way out. The driver pulled over so we could get some fresh air and figure out where we were. The Native American was nearly killed when he fell down trying to run across the highway. That made us decide we needed a good break, so we pulled into a restaraunt. The girl started walking in circles and passed out in the parking lot. The entire time, the rednecks in the restaraunt watched us through the window and stared at us the whole time we were eating.

Eventually, we all did reach Los Angeles in spite of a bad carburetor and horrible crosswinds driving across Nevada and California. I credit the new tires for us arriving safely. I'm also pretty sure the girl wound up getting her guy, since she had to have gotten to him pretty good for him to buy new tires just to spite her. And, best of all, I got to listen to that song over ... and over ... and over ... and over ...

Last edited:
BobG said:
Considering that aspect of the song, I can only imagine you trapping some poor girl in the elevator and playing that song over and over until she submits to your will.

No, no, no, no... :uhh:

Wow! Reminds of a Steven Wright joke about driving all the way across the country with only one tape - and he couldn't remember what it was.

i can never predict when this will happen. i think it sometimes has to coincide with the weather or something. but sometimes, i'll flash back not just a memory, but the same state of mind from that point in my life.

When I hear "Short Shorts" by the Royal Teens, it brings strong memories of how old I am. Same with "Witch Doctor", "Purple People Eater" and "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".

Jimmy Snyder said:
When I hear "Short Shorts" by the Royal Teens, it brings strong memories of how old I am. Same with "Witch Doctor", "Purple People Eater" and "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".
Then you don't want to listen to the new oldies station unless you want several doses of reality every hour. Not just the novelty songs you mentioned, but old standards by Pat Boone, Elvis, Roy Orbison, Sedaka, etc.

We Are The World: Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, I'm Proud to be an American: Lee Greenwood, Schools Out: Alice Cooper, All of Gorden Lightfoot songs, All of Abba.

"Amazing Grace" played by bagpipes. Tears my heart out. Heard it at some very intense funerals.

Two Princes by the Spin Doctors reminds me of driving to a nice hotel on the New Jersey coast to represent our company at a seminar on data networking (my co-worker was also a J Crew model). Good times.

berkeman said:
"Amazing Grace" played by bagpipes. Tears my heart out. Heard it at some very intense funerals.

Oh so right. Guess that was buried so deep I didn't think of it. I agree, yes.

What's wrong about using a madeleine cake as a memory retriever?? :confused:

arildno said:
Proust would say "nothing".

arildno said:
Now making and eating madeleines sure brings back memories, my mother had molds.

BobG said:
(snip)

"Lovin You" by Minnie Riperton elicits specific memories for me. It brings back memories of a hitch hiking trip to California.

(snip)

That's such an awesome memory! Not such a great song, but a great story :smile:!

Lacy33 said:
We Are The World: Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, I'm Proud to be an American: Lee Greenwood, Schools Out: Alice Cooper, All of Gorden Lightfoot songs, All of Abba.

And those memories are? :confused:

BobG said:
And those memories are? :confused:
I get very specific memories with some songs, including all kinds of sensory input. My first example was Mary, with her hair draped on my head, her ample bosom and fuzzy sweater and a slight scent of Right Guard, all triggered by the opening notes of "Cherish". It's not something that you can control, in my experience. It's something that just happens.

If I hear "Pictures of Matchstick Men" I immediately flash back to the day when my father and I were driving 25 miles to the county seat to buy some items, and I heard that song on the radio, with a challenge to name the group. I convinced him to drop me off at the radio station downtown, though there was such a delay that I was sure that someone else should have won the contest. I ran up to the studio and told the DJ the name of the group that performed that song, and got a couple of promotional 45's as a prize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mummer's Dance by Loreena McKennitt reminds me of driving from my hotel in Atlanta to the training location for my company in Tucker, GA. Every morning at the same time, at the same stoplight, this song would come on. I loved it. I loved the classes I was taking. Great memories.

1. What is the scientific explanation behind music evoking memories?

Music has the ability to activate various regions of the brain, including the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex, which are responsible for memory and emotion. When we listen to music, it can trigger memories that are associated with the emotions and experiences we had while listening to that particular song.

2. Can certain genres of music elicit memories more effectively than others?

Yes, studies have shown that music with strong emotional and personal connections, such as music from our adolescence or early adulthood, can trigger memories more effectively than other genres. This is because these songs are often associated with significant life events and feelings.

3. Is there a specific part of the brain that is responsible for storing musical memories?

The hippocampus, which is responsible for forming and storing memories, has been found to play a significant role in storing musical memories. However, other regions of the brain, such as the prefrontal cortex and amygdala, also play a role in the formation and retrieval of musical memories.

4. Can listening to a song repeatedly enhance its ability to elicit memories?

Yes, repetitive listening to a song can strengthen the neural connections associated with that particular song, making it more likely to trigger memories. This is why we often associate songs we have listened to multiple times with specific memories or periods in our lives.

5. Are there any factors that can influence the strength and specificity of musical memories?

Yes, factors such as the emotional intensity of the experience, the personal significance of the song, and the frequency of listening can all influence the strength and specificity of musical memories. Additionally, our individual differences and unique neural connections also play a role in how certain songs trigger memories for each person.