Do you think we should attempt contact with aliens?

• Thread starter spacefan
  • Start date
I would like to know your opinion about this.

Do you think we should try to contact aliens?

I think it's safe as long as we choose stars as old as the Sun or younger.

I also think that, if a nearby civilization hasn't contacted with us yet, it's probably because they don't have the means to do so.

Actually, according to Claudio Maccone, there are probably no advanced civilizations within 500 light years.

There is an organization called METI, that tries to message extraterrestrial intelligence. More info here.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
It's all speculation and if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 11 different opinions with emphasis on different aspects of the whole thing. Personally, I think it can be interesting speculation but as a practical matter it's a waste of time.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50, davenn and 2 others
We've already, albeit somewhat inadvertently, messaged the whole Universe ever since the first episodes of 'Howdy Doody' being broadcast in UHF, so let's please hope that 'they' like USA TV.

Likes timmeister37 and Klystron
Klystron
Gold Member
While funding remained erratic, as Carl Sagan indicates*, NASA and other agencies have run SETI programs for decades. Not all projects involved passive listening. We have transmitted coded signals into space along with radiating "I Love Lucy" re-runs before cable TV predominated.

That bird has flown.​
The die is cast.​
That ship has sailed.​
The cat ("meorrw") is out of the bag.​

*re: Sagan's novel and film and popular astronomy show.

Likes atyy and JD_PM
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Someday a flying saucer will land on the National Mall, loudpeakers will engage, and we will hear a booming Cuban-accented voice, "Lucy...I'm home!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron, Astronuc, berkeman and 4 others
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's all speculation and if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 11 different opinions with emphasis on different aspects of the whole thing. Personally, I think it can be interesting speculation but as a practical matter it's a waste of time.
Beeeep! :mad:

We've already, albeit somewhat inadvertently, messaged the whole Universe ever since the first episodes of 'Howdy Doody' being broadcast in UHF, so let's please hope that 'they' like USA TV.
The aliens are going to think we are some weird beings if all they see is howdy doody.

Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Hi Flatland:

My opinion for a variety of subtle reasons: Communication with distant aliens cannot do the people of Earth any more harm than not communicating with them, if any such beings actually exist.

Regards,
Buzz

there are probably no advanced civilizations within 500 light years
If true, I'm not convinced that "communication" is possible.

Us: AD2020: "Hey there!"
Them AD3020: "Wazzup!"
Us: AD3020: "Hey cool, how you guyz doing?"
Them: AD4020: "What?"