Do you think we should attempt contact with aliens?

In summary, the people discussing this topic disagree on whether or not it is worth trying to contact aliens, with some believing that it is impossible and others believing that there may not be any aliens nearby.
spacefan
I would like to know your opinion about this.

Do you think we should try to contact aliens?

I think it's safe as long as we choose stars as old as the Sun or younger.

I also think that, if a nearby civilization hasn't contacted with us yet, it's probably because they don't have the means to do so.

Actually, according to Claudio Maccone, there are probably no advanced civilizations within 500 light years.

There is an organization called METI, that tries to message extraterrestrial intelligence. More info here.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all speculation and if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 11 different opinions with emphasis on different aspects of the whole thing. Personally, I think it can be interesting speculation but as a practical matter it's a waste of time.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50, davenn and 2 others
We've already, albeit somewhat inadvertently, messaged the whole Universe ever since the first episodes of 'Howdy Doody' being broadcast in UHF, so let's please hope that 'they' like USA TV.

Likes timmeister37 and Klystron
While funding remained erratic, as Carl Sagan indicates*, NASA and other agencies have run SETI programs for decades. Not all projects involved passive listening. We have transmitted coded signals into space along with radiating "I Love Lucy" re-runs before cable TV predominated.

That bird has flown.​
The die is cast.​
That ship has sailed.​
The cat ("meorrw") is out of the bag.​

*re: Sagan's novel and film and popular astronomy show.

Likes atyy and JD_PM
Someday a flying saucer will land on the National Mall, loudpeakers will engage, and we will hear a booming Cuban-accented voice, "Lucy...I'm home!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron, Astronuc, berkeman and 4 others
phinds said:
It's all speculation and if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 11 different opinions with emphasis on different aspects of the whole thing. Personally, I think it can be interesting speculation but as a practical matter it's a waste of time.

Beeeep! :mad:

sysprog said:
We've already, albeit somewhat inadvertently, messaged the whole Universe ever since the first episodes of 'Howdy Doody' being broadcast in UHF, so let's please hope that 'they' like USA TV.

The aliens are going to think we are some weird beings if all they see is howdy doody.

Hi Flatland:

My opinion for a variety of subtle reasons: Communication with distant aliens cannot do the people of Earth any more harm than not communicating with them, if any such beings actually exist.

Regards,
Buzz

spacefan said:
there are probably no advanced civilizations within 500 light years
If true, I'm not convinced that "communication" is possible.

Us: AD2020: "Hey there!"
Them AD3020: "Wazzup!"
Us: AD3020: "Hey cool, how you guyz doing?"
Them: AD4020: "What?"

1. Should we attempt contact with aliens?

This is a highly debated question with no definitive answer. Some scientists argue that attempting contact with aliens could lead to advanced technological and cultural exchanges, while others believe it could have dangerous consequences for humanity.

2. What are the potential risks of attempting contact with aliens?

The potential risks of attempting contact with aliens include unintentional communication breakdown, the spread of diseases or viruses, and the possibility of hostile or advanced beings posing a threat to humanity.

3. Are there any benefits to attempting contact with aliens?

Yes, attempting contact with aliens could potentially lead to advancements in science, technology, and culture. It could also provide valuable insights into the origins of life and the universe.

4. How could we communicate with aliens?

There are several proposed methods for communicating with aliens, such as using mathematical and scientific symbols, sending radio or laser signals, and developing a universal language. However, there is no guarantee that aliens would understand or respond to these forms of communication.

5. What precautions should be taken before attempting contact with aliens?

Before attempting contact with aliens, scientists should carefully consider the risks and potential consequences. They should also establish protocols for communication and have a plan in place for how to handle various scenarios. It is also important to consult with experts in different fields, such as linguistics and sociology, to ensure ethical and safe practices.