Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Does a magnetic field accompany Jupiter's Great Red Spot?

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    If yes, could you please give me a reference documentation?

I am an astrophysical amateur. We have published a paper on the frozen-in field lines concept (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0136936), and are trying to explain the origin of the magnetic field of the sunspots using our new theory. We hope that the magnetic field of Jupiter's Great Red Spot can be used to verify our point of view.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    I don't think the Spot is magnetic. It is pretty much the same as an Earth storm. Sunspots occur when plasma tubes pass through the surface of the Sun. To me they seem quite different.

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4
    Except it seems to be a high pressure system, (anticyclonic), whereas storms on Earth are cyclones.
    What it does share with anticyclones on Earth is that it's quite stable and durable.

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5
    Yeah, but as far as magnetism goes it doesn't matter. It's still a vortex of neutral material.

7. Apr 25, 2016 #6
    Sure, nothing suggests it has anything to do with a magnetic field.

8. Apr 26, 2016 #7
    I have a book (1016 pages) named Evolution of the Earth. It is an academic book on geophysics and published in 1996.

In this book, the origin of magnetic field of the Earth and planets was discussed. On the magnetic field of the great red spot, the author wrote only one sentence: "It has been known that the great red spot is a huge vortex and accompanied by a very strong magnetic field."

I hope get more reference on this problem, but the contact to the author has been fruitless.

I hope someone here can recognizethis opinion.

9. Apr 27, 2016 #8
  10. Apr 27, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Apr 27, 2016 #10
    I am trying to get some info in English. I am semi illiterate in English.

12. Apr 27, 2016 #11

Dotini

Gold Member

13. Apr 27, 2016 #12

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Have you researched the book's author to see if perhaps he published some papers on the giant red spot?

14. Apr 28, 2016 #13
    A moment ago, I contacted with the author's wife and will contact him soon. This author is an interesting person. He has neither email nor mobile phone. He published three books on the geophysics in Chinese. He didn't publish any paper in English. I think his academic level is very high, but I'm not sure if he's right in this point.

15. Apr 28, 2016 #14
  16. Apr 28, 2016 #15
    I have contacted the author.

Fruitless.

He has forgotten the source.

17. Apr 28, 2016 #16
    The thunderstorm magnetic field mentioned in that report is not the magnetic field concerned.

I focus on the unitary magnetic field as the one of the sunspot.

Thank you.

18. Apr 28, 2016 #17

Dotini

Gold Member

Jupiter has a powerful magnetic field, with strong auroral activity at the poles. It has powerful radiation belts similar to the Van Allen belts around Earth. In addition to the Great Red Spot it has Lesser Red Spots. Lightning is observed in thunderstorms around these "spots". But lightning is not observed in the spots, nor do we see auroral activity. We do not know a whole lot about Jupiter, and its study is ongoing. Despite a search of the literature, sacred and profane, I find no evidence which would indicate a unitary magnetic field common to the Red Spot(s). Jupiter is probably not the place to confirm your "frozen-in field line" concept.

In the abstract to your paper I see this: "The main purpose of this work is to correct a fallacy among some astrophysicists.":nb)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  19. Apr 28, 2016 #18
    Currently, the plasma of the Sun is considered to be electroneutral. In our published paper, we have proven this is fallacy.

20. Apr 28, 2016 #19
    In current pulsar electrodynamics (Goldreich & Julian 1969), pulsar's magnetosphere particles are considered to be frozen with the magnetic field lines and corotating with neutron star. In our paper, this has been proven to be also a fallacy. In our paper, beside theoretical analysis, we also used experiments to support our conclusion.
    Now, we cannot sure that a unitary magnetic field was detected in the great red spot and Gai's viewpoint maybe a mistake. But this cannot negate that a unitary magnetic field is really exist in the great red spot. Perhaps, the unitary magnetic field is too weak to current detection or no one once detected that magnetic field.

21. Apr 28, 2016 #20
    If our viewpoint is correct and the plasma of the Sun is really non-electroneutral, the magnetic field of sunspots can be simply interpreted without complex theory such as magnetic tube. If a unitary magnetic field can be detected in the great red spot, our viewpoint can be affirmed further. Just because of this, I ask for help here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted