Does AA^\dagger=I Imply A^\dagger is the Generalized Inverse of A?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NaturePaper
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    generalized Inverse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
NaturePaper
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Does the equation [tex]AA^\dagger=I[/tex] force [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] to be the generalized inverse of A? That is: [tex]AA^\dagger=I\Rightarrow A^\dagger\text{ is the generalized inverse of } A?[/tex] A is any rectangular matrix over the field of complex numbers. It is very easy to verify the first three properties, but I'm not sure about the last one
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks the answer is yes. The result can be found in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofs_involving_the_Moore%E2%80%93Penrose_pseudoinverse" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
I think so. Actually i think we can write out what A† is.
It is A*(AA*)^(-1), and the 4th condition follows.
 
No.
In my question A\dagger was conjugate transpose and conditions 3 and 4 in Penrose's definition are just the requirement that AX and XA both should be hermitian, where X is the generalized inverse of A (in my case which is A\dagger and so 3-4 follows trivially).