Does confidence matter more than actual success for respect?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 8K views
Holocene said:
I've been thinking that even if a person has not fulfilled the societal mainstreams of what "success" is supposed to be, they might still be "respected", so long as they project an aura of confidence that is not necessarily unwarranted.

It seems like we are always concerned about others' opinions and evaluations, especially about ourselves. That concern can make the acceptance of ourselves and of life around us a difficult thing to understand. So the thing that needs to be done is to look deep within yourself and come to the realization that you are perfect just the way you are because nature (or perhaps you prefer God) doesn't make any such distinctions. And then, when you accept life just as it is, on its own terms, there is no need to project anything but yourself. That's when you will notice that tension and pessimism and discontent will disappear and you will begin to feel much better about yourself and about others, just naturally and without creating any artificial mask.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
And remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Exactly.

I used to be a huge introvert before. I'm the complete opposite now. I barely recognize myself when I think back 2-3 years ago.

I notice that people occupy themselves with trivial thoughts all the time. I also hate repetitive behaviour too. Sometimes I'll just say goodnight to this girl I know, and off to bed. Then I get a message in the morning sayingI forgot to... kiss goodnight. WTF? Did she seriously think that during the night or what? So trivial and pointless.