Does Google Earth's sky view show the actual stars above my location?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
budd
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
when you log into google Earth it seems to go generally above where i am. when i press the sky button on it does it show the sky-space directly above me? I'm very new to this as you might tell. very clear skies tonight though so i thought i'd try to get my bearings on a few stars. any tips also? tx
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
When I start Google Earth, it is centered over the US and nowhere near where I am (on the east coast). When I click "explore sky", I get a close-up of the galaxy M-101, with a bunch of menu options around it... After a quick look, I don't see how to set a location, though.
 
you can set a home position, and set it to go to home
(sorry not installed here so I can tell you which menu)