Does IEEE membership offer career benefits beyond publications?

  • Thread starter Thread starter A2Core
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ieee
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
A2Core
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Is it worth it to join IEEE? I've been active with the IEEE student chapter and have been a national student member. But, are there any direct benefits of it? (Aside from getting the magazines, and I don't read the papers on there much).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in academia and I use the IEEE Xplore daily. Besides that, IEEE has some great webinars which are geared towards professionals for both technical and career development.
 
The benefits really start when you achieve Chartered status. Sticking as a member until that point shows commitment to the profession.
 
A2Core said:
Is it worth it to join IEEE? I've been active with the IEEE student chapter and have been a national student member. But, are there any direct benefits of it? (Aside from getting the magazines, and I don't read the papers on there much).
Yes. But to really get benefits, one must actively participate. I was in IEEE for many years but finally dropped it because I wasn't so active. I might re-join, but I belong to 6 other technical societies and sit on a number of committees, and I participate in various national and international meetings/conferences. Committee members usually involve the main researchers and managers in industry.