Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Newly Discovered Supernova Point to Unknown Laws of Physics?

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...-stars-point-to-new-laws-of-physics.html#more

In the past decade, robotic telescopes have turned astronomers' attention to strange exploding stars that may point to new and unusual physics. An international team of astronomers has uncovered a supernova whose origin cannot be explained by any previously known mechanism and which promises exciting new insights into stellar explosions.

SN2005E was first spotted on January 13, 2005 in the nearby galaxy NGC1032. Since then, scientists have carried out various observations of it using different telescopes including the Keck, the world's largest, at Mauna Kea, Hawaii. Analysis of the collected data, theoretical modeling and interpretation led to the conclusion that SN2005E wasn't a typical supernova.

Supernovae result from the collapse of very massive stars or by thermonuclear detonation on the surface of white dwarf stars composed mainly of carbon and oxygen.

"But this one, although it appears to be from a white dwarf system, is devoid of carbon and oxygen. Instead it's rich in helium. It's surprisingly different," said Dae-Sik Moon of the University of Toronto's Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics.

Continued - see link

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2
    I think its a stretch to claim this "points to unknown laws of physics".

4. May 22, 2010 #3
    This just says what we already know: stellar evolution is not fully explained, but new "laws of physics"? I doubt it. This would be like finding a new metabolic pathway for a life-form; that is new, but it is not changing the nature of life.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook