Does sending information through a wormhole to the past violate conservation of energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
biscuitcrush
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I won't pretend to by a physicist (yet... maybe in four years :frown:) but I do surf Wikipedia a lot now and then. So I came to a general understanding (I think?) of how transportation through wormholes has you arrive at a frame in the past.

Wouldn't this violate the conservation of energy? Suddenly, a point in the past has more energy than the universe does at the moment you shove the information into the wormhole. Come to think of it, this "past frame" is a separate frame from the one of the original information sender, right? But how does that affect this?

edit

I don't think I was clear enough. Okay, let's say I was shoving information into a wormhole. When it arrives at the destination will now be in my past, because events where it arrives will take time before I cross into their "horizons" (if I'm using the correct term). So... my past now has more total energy than my present? Wait, what?
 
Physics news on Phys.org