Does string theory mean that in our universe 1 + 1 != 2 ?

• Thread starter zheng89120
  • Start date
because there are these "weird" spatial geometries on the elementary distance level (PS. sorry, this is unlear)

PS. I mean physically 1 meter + 1 meter != 2 meters, because there is not that kind of precision on any of of these numbers regardless, as long as it is grounded in our universe

PS. like even if you have 2 theoretical units of distance, one you ground them into the real world they can not be infinitely precise, and neither can their answer

PS. It seems to me that the real universe can not be infinitely precise, and distance seems like a theoretical/mathematical abstraction having to do with Newtonian times.

Let me rephrase the question: How does 1+1=2 connect with elementary distance measurements?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

xts
because there are these "weird" spatial geometries on the elementary distance level
What the weirdest geometry may have to validity of Peano's arithmetic???

bapowell
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Actually, 1+1=2 even in the string universe. That's actually one thing that string theory gets right!

mathman
Science Advisor
When dealing with discrete items, 1 + 1 = 2.

When dealing with continuous variable things, like distance, the numbers have error bars, so when you add them, you also have an error bar.