Does the bending of light by objects affect our view of the universe as a whole?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter n0vadeath
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
n0vadeath
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
tTs said that objects effect the space around them. Example is if we look near the sun and see a star(or planet) that really is blocked by sun, so the light bends around and we view it. Well how does this pertain all of the viewable space we see out there? I mean if I view one star or galaxy , then I view another star or galaxy near by, couldn't there be a chance the closer object might bend the light of the object futher out? How does that change the way we view the universe as a whole?


Peace
Damien
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The amount of bending by the sun is very small, so it is noticeable with very precise measurements. However, the same effect is more apparent when light passes close to a galaxy. Lensing effects take place and we can see multiple images and other distortions.
 
n0vadeath said:
tTs said that objects effect the space around them. Example is if we look near the sun and see a star(or planet) that really is blocked by sun, so the light bends around and we view it. Well how does this pertain all of the viewable space we see out there? I mean if I view one star or galaxy , then I view another star or galaxy near by, couldn't there be a chance the closer object might bend the light of the object futher out? How does that change the way we view the universe as a whole?

In fact, a lot of research is being devoted to answering just that question. As mathman has already suggested, the deviations are very small -- the sky wouldn't look any different to your eye if there were no gravitational distortions. However, we can detect the difference with our telescopes and it turns out to be a powerful tool for studying the distribution of mass in the universe. Gravitational lensing appears in many contexts, including studies of quasars, the cosmic microwave background, the large-scale distribution of matter, dark matter, galaxy and cluster masses, and even extrasolar planets.
 
Sweet,

Any related topics I can read on here ? Mabe a hot topic to look over?peace
Damien
 
Besides I haven't really thought about this question much till a few days ago. Been bugging me :P