Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does The Nominee's Academic Credentials Matter

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is something that I pulled off the web ...

Obama: Occidental College ( Los Angeles ) - 2 years studying Politics and Public Policy. Columbia University ( New York ) - B.A. Political Science with a specialization in International Relations. Harvard Law School - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude, Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Law Review.

Biden: University of Delaware - B.A. in History and a B.A. in Political Science. Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

McCain: United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 of 899. (#5 from the bottom)

Palin: Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester - Business Administration. North Idaho College - 2 semesters - General Studies. University of Idaho - 2 semesters - Journalism. Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester. University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like Tsu always says: "I want a President who is smarter than I am."

Yes, we have had a C student for President, and we may be lucky if we ever recover: Two wars [one that we didn't need to fight], 4000 dead, tens of thousands of lives forever changed or destroyed, a crippled military, a crippled economy, a divided nation, and we now each owe $40,000. Thanks Mr. C.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    I was thinking about starting a similar thread including experience as credentials. I have seen many references to Obama's lack of experience and how Palin is supposedly more experienced than he is. Can anyone come up with an actual list of experience credentials for the candidates? The sort you would perhaps see on a professional resume preferably.

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One interesting note: Obama was the State Senator for Illinois' 13th district, which has a larger population than the entire State of Alaska.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hmm, are the districts the same for congressmen and state legislators? Because I checked out Wikipedia for the 13th Illinois District and it turns out that the current Rep is a Republican female Judy Biggert and it says here that the district voted for Bush over Kerry by 55-45:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's_13th_congressional_district

On the other hand this article says that "Obama won the heavily Democratic 13th district by a large margin":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

Or was it gerrymandered heavily since then?

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the point? That a district that votes one way in the national election can't vote another way locally?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  8. Oct 3, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

No, it's just that I'm not from the US and can't tell if there is supposed to be any difference.

9. Oct 3, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, there is a difference. Some people vote a straight ticket - all Democrat, or all Republican - but I think this is more rare than not now; esp at the local level.

I have a die-hard, redneck, racist, Republican cousin in Illinois who voted for Obama. So it seems that Obama is just that good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?