Does The Nominee's Academic Credentials Matter

In summary, Obama was born in Kenya and raised in Hawaii, which may make some people skeptical of his experience, but he has won two elections in heavily Democrat Illinois. Palin was born in Alaska and has experience as a governor, so she may be more experienced than Obama when it comes to governing a state. McCain was born in the US but spent many years in the military, and Biden was a university professor before he entered politics.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here is something that I pulled off the web ...

Obama: Occidental College ( Los Angeles ) - 2 years studying Politics and Public Policy. Columbia University ( New York ) - B.A. Political Science with a specialization in International Relations. Harvard Law School - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude, Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Law Review.

Biden: University of Delaware - B.A. in History and a B.A. in Political Science. Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

McCain: United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 of 899. (#5 from the bottom)

Palin: Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester - Business Administration. North Idaho College - 2 semesters - General Studies. University of Idaho - 2 semesters - Journalism. Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester. University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tsu always says: "I want a President who is smarter than I am."

Yes, we have had a C student for President, and we may be lucky if we ever recover: Two wars [one that we didn't need to fight], 4000 dead, tens of thousands of lives forever changed or destroyed, a crippled military, a crippled economy, a divided nation, and we now each owe $40,000. Thanks Mr. C.

Last edited:
I was thinking about starting a similar thread including experience as credentials. I have seen many references to Obama's lack of experience and how Palin is supposedly more experienced than he is. Can anyone come up with an actual list of experience credentials for the candidates? The sort you would perhaps see on a professional resume preferably.

One interesting note: Obama was the State Senator for Illinois' 13th district, which has a larger population than the entire State of Alaska.

Hmm, are the districts the same for congressmen and state legislators? Because I checked out Wikipedia for the 13th Illinois District and it turns out that the current Rep is a Republican female Judy Biggert and it says here that the district voted for Bush over Kerry by 55-45:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's_13th_congressional_district

On the other hand this article says that "Obama won the heavily Democratic 13th district by a large margin":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

Or was it gerrymandered heavily since then?

Defennder said:
Hmm, are the districts the same for congressmen and state legislators? Because I checked out Wikipedia for the 13th Illinois District and it turns out that the current Rep is a Republican female Judy Biggert and it says here that the district voted for Bush over Kerry by 55-45:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's_13th_congressional_district

On the other hand this article says that "Obama won the heavily Democratic 13th district by a large margin":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

Or was it gerrymandered heavily since then?

What is the point? That a district that votes one way in the national election can't vote another way locally?

Last edited:
No, it's just that I'm not from the US and can't tell if there is supposed to be any difference.

Ah, there is a difference. Some people vote a straight ticket - all Democrat, or all Republican - but I think this is more rare than not now; esp at the local level.

I have a die-hard, redneck, racist, Republican cousin in Illinois who voted for Obama. So it seems that Obama is just that good.

1. Does a nominee's academic credentials affect their ability to perform their job?

Yes, a nominee's academic credentials can play a role in their ability to perform their job. Having a strong educational background can demonstrate a candidate's knowledge and skills in a certain field, which can be beneficial in their job performance.

2. What are the benefits of having strong academic credentials as a nominee?

Holding strong academic credentials can showcase a nominee's level of education and expertise in a particular field, which can give them a competitive edge over other candidates. It can also indicate their commitment to learning and ability to handle complex tasks.

3. How do academic credentials play a role in the selection process for nominees?

Academic credentials are often considered as one of the factors in the selection process for nominees. This is because they can provide insight into a candidate's knowledge and skills, as well as their potential for success in the role they are being considered for.

4. Are there any cases where academic credentials may not be as important for a nominee?

In some cases, a nominee's academic credentials may not be as important as other factors, such as their experience or practical skills. This is particularly true for jobs that require hands-on experience or specific technical skills that may not necessarily be gained through traditional academic education.

5. Can a nominee without strong academic credentials still be successful in their role?

Yes, a nominee without strong academic credentials can still be successful in their role. While academic credentials can be beneficial, they are not the only factor that determines a person's success. A nominee's work ethic, determination, and other skills can also play a significant role in their success in a particular job.

Back