Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the soul weigh 21 grams?

1. Feb 4, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.sunspot.net/news/health/bal-te.gram02feb02,0,7721707.story?coll=bal-health-headlines

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2004 #2
    I think mine weighs a few pounds because I can't fly around during my out of body experiences... This may explain it all! How do I lose "soul weight?" I'm definately going to cut back on the wafers for sure...

Seriously, thanks for that snippet! All new to me..

4. Feb 4, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quit eating soul food?

5. Feb 4, 2004 #4
    LOL!
    That's it.. I'm goin on a diet.

6. Feb 4, 2004 #5

FZ+

So selling your soul helps you make money, AND lose weight?

7. Feb 4, 2004 #6

megashawn

Science Advisor

Well, I'm not sure if this has actually been established as fact, but I've a couple of guesses as to what the weight might actually be.

1) Breath, sure you can't see it, but it is comprised of atoms and molecules and stuff, which does have a weight.

2) Methane gas. Perhaps some people who are on there death bed had a big bowl of beans shortly before hand, and once they pass, the spincter unclinches releasing the foul demon.

As to it being a soul, it seems the soul is always described as being a non-material aspect of a human, and being non-material it seems it would not have any physical weight.

8. Feb 4, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Actually, the sphincter relaxes releasing more that just gas...

9. Feb 6, 2004 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

HEY!! I was going to say EXACTLY that!!! - except I would have said "THAN" gas... (this seperated-at-birth thing is beginning to drive me bananas!)

10. Feb 6, 2004 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

I'm full of soul!!! I believe my soul weighs the same as TWO chocolate bars! Course it could be that I just ATE a chocolate bar...:wink: I'm praying it went right to my soul and not to my a$$ - sure FELT like it went to my soul...i feel much happier now...

11. Feb 6, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oooooops, THAN. It *is* getting weird. You know, I've always wanted to give barium enemas...

12. Feb 6, 2004 #11

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

forget the weight, feel the precision ...

"Or 21.262142347500003 grams" doesn't that make it a "fundamental constant" determined more precisely than any other?

Come back G, h, c, g! All is forgiven!!

13. Feb 6, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and

A full lung's worth of air has a mass of about 0.6 grams.

14. Feb 7, 2004 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

ROTFLMAOAPMP!!!

I'll send you some scrubs (I'd send you my 'uniform' but we kinda *need* that! :wink:) and a BE bag with instructions. Maybe you could practice on that blender-eating dog of yours - might keep him busy for at least a LITTLE while...

15. Feb 7, 2004 #14
    how is Soul Defined. It should have units of Energy

16. Feb 7, 2004 #15
    There is a way to prove this and a ghastly way it is.

Get a sentient being. A living human would be suggested, measure the human's weight. Give him an operation in order to stick a tube directly next to the brain, then attach the tube to a valve attached to an appropriately size sealed vacuum. Release the valve and watch as his 'soul' is sucked into the container.

Remove the container and weigh the corpse. The difference in weight is the weight of this person's soul. Peculiarly, it is about the same weight as the contents of the vacuum container.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?