Does time have infinite accuracy?

In summary, the concept of time is a dimension of the universe and has no inherent accuracy. Our measurement of time is dependent on the system we use to define it, and the smallest useful unit is known as Planck time. Zeno's paradox does not prevent the measurement of time, and it becomes irrelevant when considering quantum mechanics.
silenzer
Does time have infinite accuracy?

If so, how does time get past 1 second? Doesn't it get stuck at 0,111111 ... ?

If not, how does time pass from one measuring unit to another?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking if time is a continuous or discrete variable? Or something along the lines of Zeno's paradox?

I don't know enough in English to know what your first question means, but yes I think this is something to that of Zeno's paradox.

Accuracy is what we make it. It's how we define something that gives it accuracy.

The numbers are also dependent on what system we use to define them.

A simple example:

0.333333333... = 1/3, but only in the base 10 units system.

In a base 3 system, 1/3 = 0.1.

"Time" is a dimension of the universe. It has no accuracy associated with it. Clocks have accuracy.

Zeno's paradox is only an apparent paradox. It does not prevent a clock from counting time any more than it prevents an arrow from traveling to a target. Read the wiki on it or another description and it will be clarified.

Our measurement of "continuous" time may be limited to 10^-43 seconds, a unit known as Planck time.

I myself wondered about this previously (is time itself continuous or separated into precise moments?), but after learning a bit about quantum mechanics I realized the question was moot. Basically, the Planck time is the shortest time that has any use.

1. What is meant by "infinite accuracy" when referring to time?

"Infinite accuracy" in regards to time refers to the idea that time can be measured and divided into smaller and smaller increments without limit. This means that theoretically, time can be measured with perfect precision.

2. Is it possible for us to measure time with infinite accuracy?

Based on current scientific understanding, it is not possible for us to measure time with infinite accuracy. This is because our current methods and technology have limitations, and there may be fundamental limits to how small of a unit of time we can measure.

3. How do scientists currently measure time?

Scientists currently measure time using highly accurate clocks, such as atomic clocks, which rely on the vibrations of atoms to keep time. These clocks are able to measure time with incredible precision, but they still have limitations and cannot achieve infinite accuracy.

4. Can time be divided into infinite units?

The infinite divisibility of time is a topic of debate among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that time can be divided into infinite units, while others believe that there may be a smallest unit of time that cannot be further divided.

5. Why is the concept of infinite accuracy in time important?

The concept of infinite accuracy in time is important because it has implications for our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of nature. It also plays a role in areas such as quantum mechanics and the study of the fabric of space-time.