Domain, why are they both not defined?

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the equations z=\sqrt{-(x^2 + y^2)} and z=\sqrt{-(x^2 + y^2 +1)} have different domains. The first equation is only defined for x=0 and y=0, while the second equation has no real solutions. It is important to note that both equations assume real valued functions of real numbers.
rocomath
I'm currently self-studying ODE, text by Morris Tenenbaum, and I am confused by these 2 problems.

[tex]z=\sqrt{-(x^2 + y^2)}[/tex]

D: (0,0)

[tex]z=\sqrt{-(x^2 + y^2 +1)}[/tex]

undefined

Physics news on Phys.org
the second one obviously, the first one no clue

I assume that x and y are real valued as is the value z. So, for the first equation, you can only have x=0 and y=0 as domain because you would end up with [tex]\sqrt{0}=0[/tex] which is a real value. In all other cases you would have a square root of a negative number giving no solution for the real. For the second one it is always negative due to the squares and the adding of 1.

I assume this is correct, however I have a feeling there is a a catch to it...

No, coomast, you are correct. These are obviously assumed to be real valued functions of real numbers.

In [itex]z= \sqrt{-(x^2+ y^2)}[/itex], if x= y= 0, then z= 0. If either x or y is non-zero, then [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] is positive and so [itex]-(x^2+ y^2)[/itex] is negative. We cannot take the square root of a negative number so z is defined only for x= y= 0.

In [itex]z= \sqrt{-x^2+ y^2+ 1)}[/itex], if x= y= 0 then [itex]z= \sqrt{-1}[/itex] which is undefined for real numbers. If either x or y is non-zero, then [itex]x^2+ y^2+ 1[/itex] is larger than 1 so [itex]-(x^2+ y^2+ 1)[/itex] is less than -1, still negative and z is not defined for any x or y.

o wow i misread the problem

AH! I get it.

The first one, the only time it is defined is if it's restricted to (0,0).

For the second, since x^2 and y^2 will always give positive values, thus -(x^2 + y^2 + 1) will never be 0.

I appreciate the help, but be prepared for more! Lol, I'm on winter-break so I don't have a teacher to go to :-]

1. Why do we need domains in science?

Domains are necessary in science because they help categorize and organize different fields of study. They allow scientists to focus on specific areas of research and make it easier to communicate and collaborate with others in the same domain.

2. How are domains different from disciplines?

Domains and disciplines are closely related but have distinct differences. Disciplines are broader and encompass a wider range of topics, while domains are more specific and focused on a particular subject area within a discipline.

3. What is the purpose of defining domains?

Defining domains helps to provide a clear understanding and framework for a specific field of study. It also allows for the development of specific terminology and methods within that domain, making it easier for scientists to communicate and conduct research.

4. Why are some domains not well-defined?

Some domains may not be well-defined because they are relatively new or still evolving. As scientific knowledge and technology advance, new domains may emerge, making it challenging to establish clear boundaries and definitions.

5. Can domains overlap?

Yes, domains can overlap as they are not always mutually exclusive. Some domains may have overlapping areas of study, especially when multiple disciplines contribute to a particular subject area.