Dr. Plato A Lucien Hardy called and

• Thread starter Charles Wilson
  • Start date
In summary, Dr. Plato received a call from "Lucien Hardy" discussing the question of whether quantum states are real or not. A recent paper by Pusey, Barrett, and Rudolph showed that, under a certain separability assumption, pure quantum states have non-overlapping probability distributions, providing evidence that the quantum state is a real entity. However, some hold the interpretation that quantum states are simply a representation of knowledge. Further experiments are needed to determine the true nature of quantum states.
Charles Wilson
"Dr. Plato...A "Lucien Hardy" called and..."

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.1439v3.pdf

Just to stir the pot a bit:
"Are quantum states real?"

CW

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Wilson said:
Just to stir the pot a bit: "Are quantum states real?"

Mate that's an old one. It can be viewed as either depending on what interpretation appeals. I generally like reading Hardy's stuff and will probably give that paper a read sometime.

Of recent times we have had the PBR Theorem which some take as showing the wave function must be real. But a careful analysis shows that's not really the case and the situation is for any interpretation where it is real one can find one where it isn't and conversely as another of my favorite authors Schlosshauer points out:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.4779v3.pdf

I personally hold to an interpretation where it isn't real but simply represents a state of knowledge - but that means nothing except perhaps revealing the type of aesthetics that appeals to me. What we need are experiments to decide.

Thanks
Bill

"Then, in 2011 Pusey, Barrett, and Rudolph obtained the momentous result that, under a certain separability assumption, distinct pure quantum states have non-overlapping probability distributions this providing the first proof that the quantum state is a real thing in the terms outlined above. The separability assumption employed by PBR is that independently prepared pure quantum states correspond to a product of probability distributions over ontic states..."

PBR figures in this paper. It's a good read.
I understand "state of knowledge", maybe even yours, I hope. Remember (the very early) Russell here:
"My God in boots, the ontological argument is sound!" Or not.

BTW, RILLY liked your posts on Helium. Lots of thought there.
Before it's all over, I believe it will be shown that Galactic Jets from rapidly spinning Black Holes are also manifestations of quantum effects visible in the "Classical" Universe. Stay Tuned.

Thanx bhobba,

CW

Charles Wilson said:
BTW, RILLY liked your posts on Helium. Lots of thought there

Thanks mate. Don't really think its lots of thought as much as simply being familiar standard literature such as Schlosshauer's textbook on decoherence. It really is a must read IMHO. It revolutionized my understanding of QM.

Thanks
Bill

What is Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy known for?

Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy is known for his contributions to quantum physics, specifically his work on the Hardy's Paradox and the Hardy's inequality.

What is Hardy's Paradox?

Hardy's Paradox is a thought experiment proposed by Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy that challenges the principles of quantum mechanics and suggests the possibility of nonlocality.

What is Hardy's inequality?

Hardy's inequality is a mathematical theorem developed by Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy that provides a bound on the values of a function and its derivative.

What impact has Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy's work had on quantum physics?

Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy's work has had a significant impact on the understanding of quantum mechanics and has led to further research and development in the field.

What other notable achievements has Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy accomplished?

In addition to his work in quantum physics, Dr. Plato A. Lucien Hardy has also made contributions to the fields of computer science, artificial intelligence, and complexity theory.