Draw a graph given the following piecewise requirements

• Thread starter angela107
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, to determine the intervals for a piecewise graph, you need to carefully examine the given requirements and identify the distinct pieces or segments of the graph. The three main types of piecewise functions are continuous, non-continuous, and mixed. To plot a piecewise graph on a coordinate plane, you will need to identify the points or coordinates for each segment and connect them with a smooth or dotted line. A piecewise graph can have any number of pieces, depending on the given requirements. The axes for a piecewise graph should be labeled based on the units or variables involved in the given requirements to accurately interpret the graph.
angela107
Homework Statement
Is my work correct?
Relevant Equations
n/a
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 7.45.19 PM.png

IMG_4538.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Does your graph satisfy all five conditions?

Mark44 said:
What do you think? Does your graph satisfy all five conditions?
I believe it does, yes.

I agree. In the future, instead of just asking whether the work is correct, see if you can verify it for yourself, or at least let us know that you've done that.

angela107 said:
I believe it does, yes.
The graph looks to be concave up for x greater than approximately 7 .

1. What is a piecewise graph?

A piecewise graph is a type of graph that is made up of multiple functions, each defined for a specific interval or "piece" of the graph. These functions are usually connected at the endpoints of the intervals to create a continuous graph.

2. How do I determine the intervals for a piecewise graph?

The intervals for a piecewise graph are typically given in the problem or can be determined by analyzing the given information. They can also be determined by looking at the points where the different functions are defined.

3. How do I plot a piecewise graph?

To plot a piecewise graph, you will need to plot each individual function on the appropriate interval and then connect the points at the endpoints of the intervals to create a continuous graph. It may also be helpful to label each interval on the x-axis.

4. Can a piecewise graph have more than two pieces?

Yes, a piecewise graph can have as many pieces as needed. The number of pieces will depend on the number of functions given and the number of intervals they are defined for.

5. How can I check my piecewise graph for accuracy?

You can check your piecewise graph for accuracy by plugging in values from each interval into the corresponding function and making sure the points on the graph match. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph and compare it to your own graph.