Does E(X / Y) = E(X) * E(1 / Y) ?

• Thread starter DLS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between independent stochastic variables X and Y and their expected values. The theorem 5.6.12 is cited, stating that for independent continuous variables and regular functions, the resulting variables are also independent. The proof is provided and it is suggested to check if the variables and functions in question satisfy the conditions of the theorem. Finally, it is mentioned that in order for the relation to hold, E(1/Y) must exist.
DLS
If x and y are independent, does the following relation hold: E(X / Y) =
E(X) * E(1 / Y) ?
:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll assume that E is the expectation value and X, Y are stochastic variables.
Certainly, E(X Y) = E(X) E(Y) if (and only if) X and Y are independent (Meester, A Natural Introduction to Probability Theory). So you would be done if you could prove X, Y independent => X, 1/Y independent. Can you do that?

Thanks. I don't really know how to prove that for the moment. Working on it...

I did find this result in the book cited before:
(Theorem 5.6.12) Let X1, ..., Xn be independent continuous random variables and let g1, ..., gn be regular functions. Then g1(X1), ..., gn(Xn) are independent random variables, under a certain definition of regularity, which I think [tex]y \mapsto 1/y[/tex] satisfies.
If you want I can replicate the proof.

I typed it out anyway, it's attached as PDF.

I just put in the theorem and the proof. You should check for yourself that it indeed proves the theorem (e.g., that what is proved is equivalent to your definition independence of variables) and that what you have satisfies the conditions of the theorem (that is, [tex]g_1: X \mapsto X[/tex] and [tex]g_2: Y \mapsto 1/Y[/tex] are regular according to the given definition). Finally, you should then probably show that for independent variables the identity E(XY) = E(X)E(Y) from my first post holds, by writing out some definition.

Will that help you?

Attachments

• indep-proof.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,010
Assuming E(1/Y) exists. I'd imagine you can find cases where it doesn't exist.

That is a nice proof. Thx. It really helps.

1. What is the formula for calculating E(X/Y)?

The formula for calculating E(X/Y) is E(X) * E(1/Y). This means that the expected value of X divided by Y is equal to the expected value of X multiplied by the expected value of 1/Y.

2. How does E(X/Y) differ from the expected value of X divided by the expected value of Y?

E(X/Y) is a measure of the average of the ratio between X and Y, while the expected value of X divided by the expected value of Y is a measure of the ratio of the averages of X and Y. E(X/Y) takes into account the relationship between X and Y, while the latter does not.

3. Can E(X/Y) be simplified to E(X)/E(Y)?

No, E(X/Y) cannot be simplified to E(X)/E(Y). This is because E(X/Y) takes into account the covariance between X and Y, while E(X)/E(Y) does not.

4. How is E(X/Y) affected by the correlation between X and Y?

The correlation between X and Y affects the value of E(X/Y). If X and Y are positively correlated, E(X/Y) will be greater than E(X)/E(Y). If X and Y are negatively correlated, E(X/Y) will be less than E(X)/E(Y). If there is no correlation between X and Y, then E(X/Y) will be equal to E(X)/E(Y).

5. Can E(X/Y) be used to determine causation between X and Y?

No, E(X/Y) cannot be used to determine causation between X and Y. It is only a measure of the relationship between the two variables and does not imply causation. Other factors and variables need to be considered in order to determine causation between X and Y.