Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth-Like Planet orbits Sun-Like Star

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    That, anyway, is the headline in today's news, regarding the interesting discovery announced by NASA overnight of the planet dubbed Kepler-452b.

As I understand it, the properties of the planet are inferred from spectral analysis of its effects on the light from the star which it orbits.

However my question is more - well - quotidian. Last week's astronomical news was the fly-by of Pluto (an amazing achievement, I hasten to add) by a craft that had taken nearly ten years to reach its destination. The signals were then taking about 4.5 hours to reach earth; in other words, the craft was 4.5 light-hours away.

If such a craft were to travel at the same rate to Kepler-452b, how long would it take to arrive?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2
    The discovered planet is approximately 1300 light years away.
    Pluto is 4.5 light hours away, and New Horizons took 7.5 years to get to it.
    There are of course many variables which can be argued about, but very roughly that works at about 19 million years I think.

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3
    Right! That is the kind of ball-park figure that I thought it might be. It just helps to get an idea of the immense distances involved.

5. Jul 23, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook