Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth Not From Same Nebula as Sun. Huh?

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1

Dotini

Gold Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110623145430.htm
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43513975/ns/technology_and_science-space/

This is either a hoax or colossal blunder from NASA, or it is the most disturbing news I've had all week. Apparently, we are cosmic orphans, adrift in an alien solar system!

Perhaps the next thing some bright lad will tell me is that our mother is Saturn, and that he knew it all along?

Well, at least Mr. Copernicus will be resting ever more comfortably in his grave...

In total amazement,
    Steve

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

From the 2nd link:
    Is it possible the greater mass of O-17 and O-18 has resulted in less of these isotopes escaping by the solar wind?

Edit: Ah, read a little further and they have a hypothesis already trying to explain this process through different amounts of ionization of CO2 depending on the isotope of Oxygen.
    I'd say the idea that we didn't form in the same nebula as the Sun is a little far fetched at this moment.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

Dotini

Gold Member

If you are prepared to consider that the Earth was fissioned from the sun, then it's easier to think that isotopic ratios were redistributed at the time of fission rather than from some latter day Deus ex Machina, wouldn't you think? But I agree, either is preferable to accepting the idea that Earth is not of this solar system.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea what you just said.

6. Jun 25, 2011 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

McKeegan said we didn't form from the same solar nebula materials, not that we didn't form from the same nebula. All he means is that there was some redistribution of matter in the solar nebula which we don't yet understand.

7. Jun 25, 2011 #6
    Of course Michael Woolfson's Capture Theory could explain this one. The planets might have been a disrupted low proto-star captured as Jeans Mass clumps as it flew past the proto-Sun. It's a theory consistent with so much about the Sun and the planets, but lacking the "elegance" of the usual monistic theories.

8. Jun 25, 2011 #7

Dotini

Gold Member

"These findings show that all solar system objects including the terrestrial planets, meteorites and comets are anomalous compared to the initial composition of the nebula from which the solar system formed," said Bernard Marty, a Genesis co-investigator from Centre de Recherches Pétrographiques et Géochimiques and the lead author of the other new Science paper. "Understanding the cause of such a heterogeneity will impact our view on the formation of the solar system."
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110623145430.htm

9. Jun 25, 2011 #8
    Perfectly consistent with the Capture Theory. Tidal down-sizing of the proto-planets could produce Earth and Venus from the two inner captured objects. Woolfson's preferred scenario for some of the other isotopic anomalies observed is a high speed collision between the two, and a thermonuclear explosion because Venus was enriched in deuterium. Maybe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook