Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy ODE to solve using frobenius method help?

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    I can't seem to figure this one out:

y'' + (1/x)*y' -c*y = -c*y0

where c is just a constant.

if someone could please go through the steps of the frobenius method, i would really appreciate it!

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Step 1: Since the constant solution, y= cy0 for all x, is clearly a solution you can solve the homogeneous equation y''+ (1/x)y'- cy= 0 and add cy0.

Step 2: Multiply that equation by x to get xy''+ y'- cxy= 0.

Step 3: Write
    [tex]y= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+c}[/itex]
    differentiate term by term to find y' and y'' and substitute into that equation.

Step 4: Look just at the terms having lowest power of x. That should be a quadratic equation in c times a0. Assume that [itex]a_0\ne 0[/itex] so that the coefficient must be 0 and solve that "indicial equation" for two values of c.

Step 5: Put each of those values of c into your equation in turn to find two independent solutions to the homogeneous equation. Setting each coefficient of x to a power to 0, you will get a recursive equation for an.

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    i thought frobenius method was to look at the asymptotic solutions? halls what explained was simply how find a series solution?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    thank you for such a clear response!

these are my steps:
    [tex]
    y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}x^{n + c}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{dy}{dx} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n + c)a_{n}x^{n + c -1}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n + c)(n + c -1)a_{n}x^{n + c - 2}
    [/tex]

now i substitute them into the original equation multiplied by x:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n + c)(n + c -1)a_{n}x^{n + c -1} + (n + c)a_{n}x^{n + c -1} - {\alpha}a_{n}x^{n + c + 1} = 0
    [/tex]

the first two terms have the same power of x, so the equation can be simplified:

[tex]
    \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n + c)^{2}a_{n}x^{n + c - 1} - {\alpha}a_{n}x^{n + c + 1} = 0
    [/tex]

does this mean that the only solution is c = 0? have i done the right things so far?

thanks for your help!!

7. Jun 30, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook