Effect of time reversed hamiltonian acting on a state?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a time reversed Hamiltonian on a state ket, where the Hamiltonian is not time-invariant. The conversation goes on to explain the thought process and potential error in the assumption. The participants also clarify the use of the time reversal operator and the role of linearity in the state.
Brage
Hi, I have been trying to get my head around the effect of a time reversed hamiltonian ##H^B(t)=H(-t)=T^{-1}H^F T ## on a state ket ##|\psi>##, where ##H^F=H## is the regular hamiltonian for the system (energy associated with forward time translation) and ##H^B=H(-t)## is the time reversed hamiltonian, and ##T## is the time reveral operator. I here assume the hamiltionian is not time-invariant. Let me explain my throught process:

As ##i\partial_t = H## this implies that ##T^{-1}i\partial_t T=T^{-1}H^F T=H^B##.

But ##T^{-1}i\partial_t T=-T^{-1}iT\partial_t=i\partial_t##, as ##T^{-1}iT = -i##. Which would seem to imply that ##H^F|\psi>=H^B|\psi>##, which seemingly contradicts the assumed condition ##[H^F,H^B]\neq 0##. I assume this means I have made a mistake somewhere but can't seem to find it.

I would appreciate any help from people who can point out my error, cheers!

Brage

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the first equality in your third paragraph arise?

Well ##T\partial_t |\psi>=\partial_{-t}T|\psi>## so then ##T\partial_t |\psi>=-\partial_{t}T|\psi>## correct?

I agree with the first equality, but I don't see how the second equality follows unless the state is linear in t.

Likes Brage
Jilang said:
I agree with the first equality, but I don't see how the second equality follows unless the state is linear in t.
Oh of course I was using ##d(-t)=-dt##. Cheers for that!

Likes Jilang

1. What is a time reversed Hamiltonian?

A time reversed Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the dynamics of a physical system in reverse time. It is obtained by reversing the sign of the time variable in the original Hamiltonian.

2. How does a time reversed Hamiltonian affect a state?

When a time reversed Hamiltonian acts on a state, it reverses the direction of time evolution for that state. This means that the state will evolve backwards in time, following the reverse dynamics described by the time reversed Hamiltonian.

3. What is the significance of a time reversed Hamiltonian?

A time reversed Hamiltonian is significant because it allows us to study the time evolution of a system in both forward and backward directions. This can provide valuable insights into the underlying dynamics and behavior of the system.

4. How is a time reversed Hamiltonian calculated?

A time reversed Hamiltonian is calculated by reversing the sign of the time variable in the original Hamiltonian. This can be done mathematically by substituting -t for t in the Hamiltonian equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of time reversed Hamiltonians?

Time reversed Hamiltonians have various applications in physics, including in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. They have also been used in studies of chaotic systems, signal processing, and in theoretical studies of time symmetry in physical laws.