Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue, Eigenvector and Eigenspace

1. May 10, 2014 #1
    Let's say my eigenvalue λ=-1 and we assume eigenvector of zero are non-eigenvector.
    An eigenspace is mathematically represented as Eλ = N(λ.In-A) which essentially states, in natural language, the eigenspace is the nullspace of a matrix.
    N(λ.In-A) is a matrix.

Would it then be valid to say that the eigenspace, Eλ, whose eigenvalue, λ=-1, is the nullspace of the matrix, N(λ.In-A), is equivalent to the the vector , v, where
    Av = 0.

If v is the nullspace of the matrix A then Av = 0, and similarly, if Eλ is the nullspace of a matrix, N(λ.In-A), then, it must equally be true that
    [ N(λ.In-A) ] [Eλ=-1] = 0
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean you are trying to construct an eigenspace from a single vector?
  4. May 10, 2014 #3

Homework Helper

It is not clear exactly what you mean by
    [ N(λ.In-A) ] [Eλ=-1] = 0
    Certainly some interpretations would make the statement true, but
    [ N(λ.In-A) ] =[Eλ=-1]
    is also true (some interpretations)
  5. May 10, 2014 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"We assume eigenvector of zero are non-eigenvector"? I don't know what this means. Do you mean that you are assuming that 0 is not an eigenvector or are you asserting that an "eigenvector" must not be the 0 vector?

No. First, it is a set of vectors, not a single vector. Second, it is the set of vectors such that (λ.In-A)v= 0, or equivalently, λ.Inv= Av, as you said, not "Av= 0".

I cant make sense out of that. You have, as part of your hypothesis, "If v is (in) the nullspace of the matrix A" but you conclusion has no "v" in it.
  6. May 10, 2014 #5
    You probably can't because it doesn't make sense. It's still a new topic to me so I'd figure the fastest way to refine my understanding is to state what I know and have it corrected where the understanding is flawed.

I'm stating that a zero vector is not within the consideration of an eigenvector as I've learnt.

Let's see:

λ is an eigenvalue of the eigenvetor V IFF det(λIn-A) = 0

Say we have a matrix [1 2;4 3] and det((λIn-A) = 0 gives
    λ1=5 and λ2 = -1

1) Does this then states that λ1=5 and λ2 = -1 are eigenvalues corresponding to the eigenvector V?

2) Eλ12=Null(λIn-A) is interpreted as the set of vector with eigenvalues of λ1 and λ2 that maps
    the matrix (λIn-A) to the zero vector. True?

3) where λ1=-1:

I have Eλ1=N(λIn-A) = N(-1[1 0; 0 1] - [1 2; 4 3])
    = N([-2 -2; -4 -4])

4) (I shall take only λ1 as an example. Since Eλ1 maps the matrix [-2 -2; -4 -4] to the zero vector then could it then be written
    as AV=0
    where A = [1 2; 4 3] and V is the set of vector V = {v1, v2,....vn} that maps the matrix A to the zero vector?

If I could, then, matrix A after RREF(is it a necessarily condition to perform RREF on matrix A? what is the implication if I perform REF instead of RREF?)
    becomes [ 1 1; 0 0 ] and V = {v1, v2}
    and so,
    [ 1 1; 0 0] [v1;v2] = [0;0]
  7. May 10, 2014 #6

Staff: Mentor

By definition, an eigenvector is nonzero.
    These are eigenvalues of that matrix. Each eigenvalue has its own eigenvector. For the eigenvalue λ1 = 5, an eigenvector associated with this eigenvalue is any nonzero solution x of the matrix equation Ax = 5x. Equivalently, x is a nonzero solution of (A - 5I)x = 0.
    Not sure. This is a pretty cumbersome way to say it.
    For a given eigenvalue λ of a matrix A, x is an eigenvector if it is a nonzero solution of the equation Ax = λx.
    This is equivalent to (A - λI)x = 0, so x is any nonzero vector in the nullspace of A - λI.
    No. You're not looking for solutions of Ax = 0 - you're looking for solutions of (A - λI)x = 0.
  8. May 11, 2014 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm going to jump in here- Yes, many textbooks define an eigenvector to be non-zero. But many others define "Eigenvalue" by "[itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue for linear operator A if there exist a non-zero vector, v, such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex]" and then define an Eigenvector, corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], to be any vector, v, such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex], which includes the 0 vector.

Personally, I prefer that because it allows us to say "the set of all eigenvectors, corresponding
    to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], is a subspace" rather than having to say "the set of all eigenvectors, corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], together with the 0 vector, is a subspace"
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted