Eigenvectors, eigenvalues and matrices

In summary, the eigenvalues are r_1 = i and r_2 = - i. The eigenvectors are
EugP
I have:

[tex]x' = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2&-5\\1&-2\end{array}\right) x[/tex]

I found that the eigenvalues are [tex]r_1 = i[/tex] and [tex]r_2 = - i[/tex].
Also, I calculated the eigenvectors to be

[tex]\xi_1 = \left(\begin{array}{c}2 + i\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\xi_2 = \left(\begin{array}{c}2 - i\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The answer, however, is

[tex]\xi_1 = \left(\begin{array}{c}5\\2 - i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\xi_2 = \left(\begin{array}{c}5\\2 + i\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I don't understand what I did wrong.
This is what I did for the eigenvector corresponding to [tex]r_1 = i[/tex]:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}2 - i&-5\\1&-2 - i\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1\\\xi_2\end{array}\right) = 0[/tex]

By multiplying row 2 and subtracting it from row 1, I got:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&0\\1&-2 - i\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1\\\xi_2\end{array}\right) = 0[/tex]

So now I have:

[tex]\xi_1 + (-2 - i)\xi_2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]\xi_1 = (2 + i)\xi_2[/tex]

so:

[tex]\xi = \left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1\\\xi_2\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{c}\(2 + i)\xi_2\\\xi_2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now I let [tex]\xi_2 = 1[/tex]:

[tex]\xi = \left(\begin{array}{c}2 + i\\1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I think I did everything right, but I get the wrong answer. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
If v is an eigenvector, then a*v (with scalar a) is an eigenvector too (by definition and matrices being linear maps). Multiply your solutions with 2-i and 2+i, respectively.

Timo said:
If v is an eigenvector, then a*v (with scalar a) is an eigenvector too (by definition and matrices being linear maps). Multiply your solutions with 2-i and 2+i, respectively.

Oh now I see what they did. But my solution is also correct, isn't it?

Yes. The set of all eigenvectors corresponding to a single eigenvalue forms a vector space. There are, necessarily, an infinite number of eigenvectors for any eigenvalue.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes. The set of all eigenvectors corresponding to a single eigenvalue forms a vector space. There are, necessarily, an infinite number of eigenvectors for any eigenvalue.

Thanks for clearing that up!

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that does not change direction when multiplied by a certain matrix. It only changes in size (scalar multiple).

What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar (single value) that represents the amount that the corresponding eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by a matrix.

How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues related to matrices?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are related to matrices in that they are both derived from the matrix through a specific calculation. Eigenvectors are found by solving for the null space of the matrix (the vectors that when multiplied by the matrix equal zero), and eigenvalues are found by solving for the scalars that satisfy the equation Av = λv, where A is the matrix, v is the eigenvector, and λ is the eigenvalue.

What are some practical applications of eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used for data compression, image processing, solving differential equations, and analyzing systems with multiple variables.

Can a matrix have more than one eigenvector and eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvectors and eigenvalues. In fact, most matrices have multiple eigenvectors and eigenvalues, unless they are specifically created to only have one. Additionally, eigenvectors and eigenvalues can be complex numbers, meaning they have both a real and imaginary component.