Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Eigenvectors for degenerate eigenvalues

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1

dyn

I am looking at some notes on Linear algebra written for maths students mainly to improve my Quantum Mechanics. I came across the following example - $$ \begin{pmatrix} 2 & -3 & 1 \\ 1 & -2 & 1 \\ 1 & -3 & 2 \end{pmatrix} $$
    The example then gives the eigenvalues as 0 and 1(doubly degenerate). It then calculates the eigenvectors using Gaussian elimination. This is where my problem arises - coming from a physics background I tried to find the eigenvectors for the repeated eigenvalue 1 using back substitution but it doesn't seem to produce a solution this way. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible for back substitution not to work while Gaussian elimination works ?
    The answer given for the eigenvector is a linear combination of the 2 vectors ( 3 1 0 )T and (-1 0 1)T. In the Quantum Mechanics textbook I am using it says for degenerate eigenvalues to choose 2 mutually orthogonal vectors. The 2 vectors I have listed are not orthogonal. Is the orthogonal part just a preference for QM and not a requirement ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can turn them into an orthogonal pair by subtracting from one the projection of the other onto it.

Given two linearly independent vectors ##\vec u,\vec v##, the pair ##\vec u-\frac{\vec u\cdot \vec v}{\vec v\cdot\vec v}\vec v, \vec v## is orthogonal. You can check that by calculating ##(\vec u-\frac{\vec u\cdot \vec v}{\vec v\cdot\vec v}\vec v)\cdot \vec v##

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3

dyn

So choosing the eigenvectors as orthogonal is just a matter of preference. Thanks. Any thoughts on why I can't calculate the eigenvectors by back substitution but it can be done by Gaussian elimination ?

5. Oct 24, 2016 #4

dyn

If I apply a general vector ( a b c )T to the eigenvalue equation with eigenvalue 1 , I end up with 3 equations exactly the same a-3b+c=0. How do I then proceed to end up with the answer given which is equivalent to ( 3x-y , x , y )T

6. Oct 24, 2016 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation 'a-3b+c=0' can be written as 'a=3b-c' which just says that for any an eigenvector with Eigenvalue 1, whose2nd and 3rd components are b,c, the first component is 3b-c.

Relabel a,b,c as x,y,z and you have the given answer.

7. Oct 25, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Elaborating on what andrewkirk said, relabel the equation above as x - 3y + z = 0.

Then
    x = 3y - z
    y = y
    z = .... z
    If you look at the right sides as a sum of two vectors, you get
    ##\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix} = y\begin{bmatrix} 3 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + z\begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}##

Here y and z on the right side can be considered arbitrary constants.

8. Oct 25, 2016 #7

dyn

Thanks for your replies. So essentially because I end up with 3 equations that are the same I really have just one equation with 3 unknowns. So I take 2 of those unknowns to have arbitrary values and the express the remaining unknown in terms of the 2 arbitrary values

9. Oct 25, 2016 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. In the work I showed, you can take y = 1 and z = 0, and get one solution, and you can take y = 0, z = 1, to get another solution. Since y and z are completely arbitrary, you get a double infinity of solutions.

Geometrically, the two vectors I showed determine a plane in R3. Every point in this plane is some linear combination of those two vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted