Electrodynamics question and maybe quantum/classical misunderstanding

In summary: QED says that the electric and magnetic fields are quantized as (virtual) photons. This means that you can't detect radiation due to them because you can't detect them - that's why they are called virtual. For more information on virtual particles, you can check wikipedia or other threads on this forum. There are numerous threads about the subject.
jfy4
Hello,

I have a question. I have being trying to get my hands on any QED book i can cause i love it! but once i found out that the electric and magnetic fields were actually quantized as photons, and that the force between charges is mediated by light, i asked myself a question which i have been unable to answer...

if charges are radiating an electric field in the form of photons (not the 1/r one, the 1/r^2 one) which are responsible for the forces between charges, then how come there is not a spectrum of radiation separate from the radiative field (the 1/r) that is responsible for the force between charges? And if there is, and i haven't been able to find documentation (sad day), can you point me to the paper so i can read and be happy :smile:

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Those photons that are responsible for the electromagnetic forces (as you say) are not real photons but virtual ones. You cannot detect radiation due to them because you cannot detect them - that's why they are called virtual. For more on virtual particles check wikipedia or other threads on this forum. There are numerous threads about the subject.

JK423 said:
Those photons that are responsible for the electromagnetic forces (as you say) are not real photons but virtual ones. You cannot detect radiation due to them because you cannot detect them - that's why they are called virtual. For more on virtual particles check wikipedia or other threads on this forum. There are numerous threads about the subject.

I was under the strong impression that virtual photons were the photons that traveled short space-time distances, and that after about the width of say an atom, they were just normal photons. right?

No.. Check Wikipedia and other threads

jfy4 said:
I have a question. I have being trying to get my hands on any QED book i can cause i love it! but once i found out that the electric and magnetic fields were actually quantized as photons, and that the force between charges is mediated by light, i asked myself a question which i have been unable to answer...

Yes, QED says the electromagnetic fields are quantized as (virtual) photons. But I think the actual imaging of this(like the exchange of photons) is very difficult.
Because the QED has the strong "mathematical" properties even in the things other than the "virtual particles". (So I wonder what the things such as the small Lamb shift actually mean.)

I want to know how you understand the difference between the Schroedinger equation(nonrelativistic) and the Dirac equation (or the Maxwell equation) of the relativistic form.

For example, the Schoedinger equation wavefunction of the ground state hydrogen which includes the de Broglie's waves is stable and the electromagnetic waves (photons) is not emitted.

First, the idea of the probability density of the electron like this hydrogen atom is peculiar to the Schroedinger equation (S.E.), (though the Coulomb force is one of the non-relativistic approximations).

So how the stability of the (de Broglie's) wavefunction in S.E. can be explained by the QED?
Of course, the idea of the de Broglie's wave is used also in the Dirac equation.
But the idea of "probability density" like hydrogen atom in S.E. is not used in Dirac eq.
If we can't use this relativistic equation, we can't explain the phenomena as below.

The 2S1/2 state electron moves "faster" than 2P1/2 electron because it can be closer to the nucleus, which causes the relativistic energy difference by the electron's velocity.
On the other hand, only 2P1/2 electron has the spin-orbital interaction, which causes the interaction energy difference.
The origins of these two energies are completely different, but their values are completely the same due to the Dirac equation.
(But to be precise, this Dirac equation of the hydrogen contains the nonrelativistic approximation Coulomb force.
So I am very confused about the difference between the relativistic and nonrelativistic.)

(See also this thread)

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum electrodynamics?

Classical electrodynamics is a theory that describes the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in macroscopic systems, while quantum electrodynamics is a theory that describes the behavior of these fields at the microscopic level. In classical electrodynamics, the fields are continuous and deterministic, while in quantum electrodynamics, they are described by discrete packets of energy called photons and are subject to uncertainty.

2. What is the role of electromagnetism in quantum mechanics?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the interactions between charged particles. In quantum mechanics, the properties of particles, such as their spin and charge, are described by wavefunctions that interact with the electromagnetic field.

3. Can classical electrodynamics be used to describe small-scale phenomena?

No, classical electrodynamics breaks down at the quantum level and cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles such as electrons and photons. It is only applicable to macroscopic systems where the effects of individual particles can be averaged out.

4. What is the role of the electric and magnetic fields in electrodynamics?

The electric and magnetic fields are the fundamental building blocks of electrodynamics. They interact with each other and with charged particles, giving rise to a wide range of phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and electromagnetic radiation.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to electrodynamics?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, is closely related to electrodynamics. It explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the presence of electric and magnetic fields. This theory also led to the development of the famous equation, E=mc², which relates mass and energy and has significant implications for the behavior of particles in the presence of electromagnetic fields.