1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronegativity and element identification

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    As part of the exploration of one of the moons of Jupiter, a probe digs under the surface, where it finds a pocket of gas. It starts to do some on-board experimentation. The data stored in the probe's computer include the following table of Mulliken electronegativity values of gases.

Element Electronegativity,x

He 1178
    Ne 1030
    Ar 746
    O 728
    N 701
    Kr 659
    Xe 568
    Rn 500

After doing some analysis, the probe determines that the gas pocket contains an element that has an ionization energy of I=1527 KJ/mol and an electron affinity of EA=33KJ/mol. What is the identity of this element?
    Express your answer using the symbol for the element (e.g., Hg).

The book I have doesn't offer any help with this problem, if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    This seems very much an homework.
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are the 3 definitions you may need in order to solve this problem. If they are not in your book, can you find them on the internet?

PS: Next time round, use the Homework Forums (other sciences) for help with chemistry problems. This thread will be moved there by an Mentor.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?