Endurance & maximum range speeds

In summary, endurance speed refers to the longest amount of time an aircraft can fly, while maximum range speed is the farthest distance it can travel with a given amount of fuel. These speeds are determined by factors such as design, weight, and engine performance. It is important to know these speeds for efficient flight planning. Endurance and maximum range speeds are typically different, with endurance speed being slower for fuel efficiency. These speeds can be improved through advancements in aircraft design and technology.
NTW
Hello all...

I know that it can be derived, from first principles, that maximum endurance and maximum range speeds are related by the factor 3^0,25.

But I haven't been able to find a derivation. Could anyone here help...?

Thanks in advance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it's different for power-producing and thrust-producing powerplants.

Aero_UoP said:
I think it's different for power-producing and thrust-producing powerplants.

The link answers the OP's question about where the "magic number" came from.

But nothing about aircraft is that simple in real life.

1. What is the difference between endurance and maximum range speeds?

Endurance speed refers to the speed at which an aircraft can fly for the longest amount of time, while maximum range speed is the speed at which an aircraft can travel the farthest distance with a given amount of fuel.

2. How are endurance and maximum range speeds determined?

Endurance and maximum range speeds are determined by a combination of factors including the aircraft's design, weight, engine performance, and atmospheric conditions.

3. Why is it important to know an aircraft's endurance and maximum range speeds?

Knowing an aircraft's endurance and maximum range speeds allows pilots and operators to plan and optimize flights for the most efficient use of fuel and time.

4. Can an aircraft have the same endurance and maximum range speeds?

No, an aircraft's endurance and maximum range speeds are typically different. Endurance speed is typically slower than maximum range speed, as it allows for a more fuel-efficient cruise.

5. How can endurance and maximum range speeds be improved?

Endurance and maximum range speeds can be improved through aircraft design and technological advancements, such as more efficient engines and aerodynamic improvements.