1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy transfer mechanisms within the Earth’s atmosphere

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    Help Asap :(

Hi I was wondering if anyone could explain this question to me in more simple terms? And what I need to look for? It's confused me :(

You are required to summarise the main energy transfer mechanisms within the Earth’s atmosphere, and most importantly to describe the effects of these energy transfers. You should consider:
    • any impact that oceans and ocean currents have, giving at least one example
    • any physical effects that cause significant currents of air in the atmosphere
    • any energy transfers arising from electromagnetic radiation

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    Re: Help Asap :(

Doesn't anyone know? :( I need to give this in soon and don't have a clue what it means :( if anyone could explain it in more simple terms I would really appreciate it thank you

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3

I would think that they mean you should consider possible mechanisms through which energy is transferred throughout Earth's atmosphere :wink:

OK, seriously, think of how ocean currents help move, e.g. heat (a form of energy) around the globe and also consider the effects of "thermals" and other phenomena like hurricanes etc.

Hope that helps. :smile:

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

Thank Youu :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook