Enforcing artificial frozen orbit

• I
  • Thread starter a_potato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to formulate a simple constellation with two satellites having identical orbital parameters but different altitudes. The main question is how to determine delta-v requirements to maintain a frozen configuration by keeping the perigee aligned during orbit evolution. RAAN precession is ignored and the importance of perigee is highlighted in constellations with small altitude separations between orbit planes.
a_potato
Hello,
I'm interested in how to formulate a simple constellation in which there are two satellites with identical orbital parameters (eccentricity <0.003, same inclination and aligned arg. Perigee, same RAAN) but which have different altitudes (e.g. Semi major axis) which are around 1000km and offset by a small amount, say 50km.

As the orbits propagate, the arg perigees will precess at different rates. My question is how can I determine delta-v requirements to keep the perigee aligned during orbit evolution (ignoring RAAN precession) and therefore keeping a frozen configuration. Any thoughts welcome.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
a_potato said:
... (e.g. Semi major axis) which are around 1000km...

Earth has a mean radius of 6,371.0 km. The delta-v requirements will be effected by the gravitational pull of the thing your satellites orbit.

I'm a bit confused why you would call the orbits frozen if their RAAN diverge over time. Why would the perigee be so important if you require the eccentricity to be very small anyway?

mfb- RAAN is not normally considered in a frozen orbit as it must always precess relative to something (e.g. a sun-sync orbit processes relative to an inertial system). Perigee is important in constellations with small altitude separations between orbit planes, such that the apogee of one is higher than the perigee of the next one

1. What is an artificial frozen orbit?

An artificial frozen orbit is a type of orbit that is created and maintained by using propulsion systems on a spacecraft. It is designed to keep the spacecraft in a stable position relative to a specific location on the Earth or another celestial body.

2. Why is it necessary to enforce artificial frozen orbit?

Enforcing artificial frozen orbit is necessary for a variety of reasons. It allows for precise positioning of spacecraft for communication purposes, minimizes the impact of atmospheric drag and gravitational perturbations, and enables efficient use of fuel for propulsion systems.

3. How is artificial frozen orbit enforced?

Artificial frozen orbit is enforced by using thrusters or other propulsion systems on the spacecraft. These systems continuously adjust the spacecraft's speed and direction to counteract the effects of external forces and maintain the desired orbit.

4. What are the benefits of enforcing artificial frozen orbit?

Enforcing artificial frozen orbit has several benefits, including increased accuracy and stability of spacecraft positioning, reduced fuel consumption, and improved communication and data transmission capabilities. It also allows for more efficient use of resources and enables longer mission durations.

5. Are there any challenges in enforcing artificial frozen orbit?

While enforcing artificial frozen orbit has many advantages, it also comes with challenges. One of the main challenges is the complex and precise calculations required to maintain the orbit. Additionally, any malfunctions or errors in the propulsion systems can significantly affect the spacecraft's orbit and mission objectives.

Back