1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enquiry to get professional advices on Theoretical Physics.

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    Hi Everyone, I don't know what kind of my message is so I post it here as it is matter of physics.

In fact, I am a UG Students who had just finished my First year. I am so impressed by the "thought experiment" , the "theoretical approach to physics" and "The expression of natural phenomenon in Mathematics"

I really want to get into the field of theoretical physics in future and I don't know what can I actually do for preparation.

I understand that Good mathematical background is essential in theoretical physics. However, what shall I prepare in my UG year? To me, mathematics is simply divided into Calculus, Geometry, Algebra. I don't have a clear mind in the division of mathematics, as a result, I don't know where to start.

If you are now in the theoretical field, PostGraduate or Master or Doctor. What field of Mathematics do you think is the most important?

for referrence, I have took three math course in my first year and got satisfactory result.
    1. linear algebra
    2. multivaribale calculus
    3. Differential equation

Thank You!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2
    Sounds like you are taking single honours physics? If so, you don't need to ask us these questions! Look at your syllabus. Take the theoretical physics options. Get straight As, and there you are...

If you have a choice of options then tells us what they are, and what really interests you, and we might be able to help. But theoretical physics is just too big an area to give specific advice of "study are X of mathematics".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook