Enthalpy of Reaction: Fe2O3 + CO --> CO2 + 2Fe3O4

  • Thread starter Thread starter Faiien
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Faiien
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given the following reactions

Fe2O3 + 3CO ---> 2Fe + 3CO2 DeltaH = -28.0kJ
3Fe + 4CO2 ---> 4CO + Fe3O4 DeltaH = 12.5kJ

the enthalpy of the reactions of Fe2O3 with CO
3Fe2O3 + CO ---> CO2 +2Fe3O4
what is DeltaH for this equation? ________ kJ

Homework Equations


DeltaH = H(products) - H(reactants)

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to switch the equations around to isolate certain solutions but I've had no luck at all, I would really appreciate some help on this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, start with something that's only in one equation and balance that. I'd recommend starting with balancing Fe2O3. Note: NOT Fe and O, but balance the compound. Treat the compound as an individual atom. Then do the same for a compound that's only in the other equation and balance that. Then work from there.
 
Could you offer more assistance, I still don't really understand what to do.
 
Well, first let me tell you that you don't need to switch around the equations at all. Simple multiplication will work in this case.

That said, what do you need to multiply the first equation, with one Ferric Oxide, to get the third equation, with three Ferric Oxides?

Same process with the other equation.