Enumerating the cosets of a kernel

In summary, the conversation discusses a homomorphism and its kernel, and how to enumerate all of the cosets of the kernel. The speaker suggests using an epimorphism to find a subset of elements that can generate all cosets when multiplied by the kernel. Additionally, the speaker notes that the groups involved are only additive.
Mr Davis 97
Suppose that we have, for purposes of example, the homomorphism ##\pi : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}## such that ##\pi((x,y)) = x+y##. We see that ##\ker(\pi) = \{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2 \mid x+y=0\}##. How can we enumerate all of the cosets of the kernel? My thought was that of course as we range ##g## over ##G## we look at ##g\ker (\pi)## we get all of the cosets, but how can I find a subset of ##I \subseteq G## such each element of ##I## gives a new coset when multiplied by the kernel?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Suppose that we have, for purposes of example, the homomorphism ##\pi : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}## such that ##\pi((x,y)) = x+y##. We see that ##\ker(\pi) = \{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2 \mid x+y=0\}##. How can we enumerate all of the cosets of the kernel? My thought was that of course as we range ##g## over ##G## we look at ##g\ker (\pi)## we get all of the cosets, but how can I find a subset of ##I \subseteq G## such each element of ##I## gives a new coset when multiplied by the kernel?
I see only additive groups here, so it has to be ##g+\operatorname{ker}(\pi)##. Moreover we have an epimorphism, so we get an induced isomorphism ##\bar{\pi}\, : \,\mathbb{R} \cong \mathbb{R}^2/\operatorname{ker}(\pi)## which means, all elements are of the form ##g+\mathbb{R}## where ##\mathbb{R}=\operatorname{ker}(\pi)## is the diagonal, which is shifted upwards (##g>0##) or downwards (##g<0##) to cover the entire plane by copies of said diagonal.

1. What is a kernel?

A kernel, also known as a null space, is a subset of a group or vector space that contains all the elements that are mapped to the identity element.

2. Why is it important to enumerate the cosets of a kernel?

Enumerating the cosets of a kernel allows us to understand the structure of a group or vector space and identify the number of distinct elements that can be formed by combining the elements of the kernel with the elements of the group or vector space.

3. How do you enumerate the cosets of a kernel?

To enumerate the cosets of a kernel, we first need to identify the elements of the kernel. Then, we can form the cosets by multiplying each element of the kernel with each element of the group or vector space. The resulting elements will be the distinct cosets of the kernel.

4. What is the relationship between cosets and the kernel?

A coset is a subgroup of a group or vector space that is formed by multiplying the elements of the group or vector space with a fixed element. The kernel is a special type of coset that contains all the elements that are mapped to the identity element. Therefore, the kernel is a coset, but not all cosets are kernels.

5. Can the cosets of a kernel be used to simplify calculations?

Yes, the cosets of a kernel can be used to simplify calculations in a group or vector space. By identifying the cosets, we can reduce the number of elements that need to be considered in a calculation, making it more manageable and efficient.