Eventual job dissatisfaction in engineers

• Testing
  • Thread starter Jeff Ford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, engineering is a field with high job satisfaction and aligns with the elements the speaker values in a job. However, approximately 25% of engineers leave the field within 5-10 years, often due to transitioning from design work to management work, feeling disconnected from projects, and finding the work at that level less related to what they enjoyed at lower levels. This raises concerns for the speaker, who is considering investing time and money into pursuing an engineering degree. The listener suggests comparing these numbers to other professions to gain a better understanding of their significance.
Jeff Ford
I'm on my way back to school and am drawn towards engineering. I've read about engineering being a field with high job satisfaction, and it contains a lot of the elements I value in a job.

Recently I read that approximately 25% of engineers leave the fields between 5-10 years after entering it. This was explained as being due to the engineers moving from design work into management work, feeling like they were no longer connected with the projects, and feeling like the work at that level wasn't related to the work they had enjoyed at lower levels.

This concerns me a bit. I'll be investing quite a bit of time and money to return to school for a degree that I would only find satisfying for 5-10 years. Have any engineers on the board had experience with this?

Thanks
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff,

People change careers an average of three times throughout their lives. The fact that 25% of engineers change careers within 5-10 years does not seem all that significant, since that seems roughly equal to what I'd expect for any profession. To put the numbers in context, can you compare them to the numbers for other professions?

- Warren

I understand your concerns about potential job dissatisfaction in the field of engineering. While it is true that engineering can be a highly fulfilling career, it is also important to acknowledge that job satisfaction can vary among individuals and may change over time.

The statistic you mentioned about a 25% turnover rate in engineering is not uncommon in many industries. It is important to consider the reasons behind this turnover and whether they are applicable to your own career goals and values. It is true that some engineers may become dissatisfied with their job as they move into management positions, as they may miss the hands-on technical work they enjoyed earlier in their careers. However, this is not always the case. Many engineers find fulfillment in leadership roles and enjoy the challenge of managing projects and teams.

It is also important to keep in mind that the field of engineering is constantly evolving and there are many different paths one can take within the industry. If you find yourself becoming dissatisfied with your current role, you can always explore other areas of engineering or even switch to a different field altogether. Your engineering degree will provide you with a strong foundation of technical and problem-solving skills that can be applied to a wide range of industries and roles.

Ultimately, the key to long-term job satisfaction in any field is to find a balance between your personal values, interests, and skills. I encourage you to research and speak with engineers who have been in the field for a longer period of time to gain a better understanding of their experiences and insights. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of an engineering degree and hope that you find a fulfilling and rewarding career in the field.

1. What factors contribute to eventual job dissatisfaction in engineers?

There are several factors that can contribute to eventual job dissatisfaction in engineers. These may include unrealistic workload expectations, lack of career growth opportunities, poor work-life balance, and inadequate compensation.

2. How common is job dissatisfaction among engineers?

While it is difficult to determine an exact percentage, job dissatisfaction among engineers is a common issue. According to a survey by the American Society of Civil Engineers, nearly 50% of engineers reported being dissatisfied with their current job.

3. Are there specific engineering fields that are more prone to job dissatisfaction?

Studies have shown that job dissatisfaction can vary depending on the engineering field. For example, civil engineers have reported higher levels of job dissatisfaction compared to other fields such as mechanical or electrical engineering.

4. Can job dissatisfaction in engineers be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent job dissatisfaction, there are steps that can be taken to mitigate it. Employers can provide opportunities for career development, promote work-life balance, and offer competitive compensation. Engineers can also take proactive measures such as setting realistic expectations and communicating any concerns with their employer.

5. How does job dissatisfaction affect the overall productivity of engineers?

Job dissatisfaction can have a negative impact on the productivity of engineers. When employees are dissatisfied with their job, they may be less motivated to perform at their best, resulting in decreased productivity. This can also lead to higher turnover rates, which can be costly for employers.