Exercise 1, Chapter 1 from Kunz's Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,920
Reaction score
48
I am reading Ernst Kunz book, "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves"

I need help with Exercise 1, Chapter 1 ...

Indeed ... I am a bit overwhelmed by this problem ..

Exercise 1 reads as follows:

Kunz - Exercise 1 - Chapter 1.png
Hope someone can help ... ...To give a feel for the context and notation I am providing the start to Chapter 1, as follows:
Kunz - Exercise 1 - Chapter 1.png
Kunz - Some Basic Definitions - Chapter 1.png
Kunz - Some Basic Definitions - Chapter 1.png

Peter
 
Physics news on Phys.org
suppose you have a polynomial of degree d over F and d-1 roots are in F. Can you conclude that the last root is also in F?
 
Sorry mathwonk ... not sure ... can you help further ...

Peter
 
Well ... maybe if F is an algebraically closed field, then all the d roots of the polynomial would be in F ...

Is that correct?

Peter
 
Math Amateur said:
Well ... maybe if F is an algebraically closed field, then all the d roots of the polynomial would be in F ...

Is that correct?

Peter

You don't want them to be in ##F##, you want them to be in ##F_0##. Think about mathwonk's hint. If ##(X-\alpha)(X-\beta)## is a polynomial in ##F_0## such that ##\alpha\in F_0##, why is ##\beta\in F_0##?