Exercise 56 in chapter 1 of Lang's algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise related to sets and complex numbers. The question is how to prove that certain elements are contained in specific sets using different exponents. The first problem is solved by realizing the inverse of a matrix has the same fixed points. However, the second problem of proving the relationship between sets remains unsolved. The speaker is seeking advice or tips on how to approach the exercise.
stupiduser
Hi,

I have been puzzled by this exercise for some time. I won't repeat it here as the hint refers to other exercises, so I would be copying a whole page of the book.

My question is as follows. After having defined the sets [tex]S_i[/tex] and picked a complex number [tex]s[/tex] not belonging to any of the [tex]S_i[/tex] it is trivial to use part (b) of exercise 55 to show that for some large [tex]k[/tex] we have [tex]M_i^k(s)\in S_i[/tex] for all [tex]i[/tex].

Now the problem is that we still need to prove that [tex]M_i^{nk}(s)\in S_i[/tex] for all [tex]n\neq 0[/tex] i.e. all the exponents, but I don't see how this can be done for negative exponents.

Further, I have no idea how to prove that there exists such a [tex]k[/tex] that [tex]M_i^k(S_j)\subset S_i[/tex] for all [tex]j\neq i[/tex] and further for all the exponents of [tex]M_i^k[/tex]. It doesn't even seem plausible that this could happen as any element close to [tex]w'_i[/tex] is (for a large enough [tex]k[/tex]) mapped into [tex]U_i[/tex] i.e. close to [tex]w_i[/tex] by part (b) of the previous exercise. Thus, it would seem that choosing some [tex]z\in U_i'[/tex] closer and closer to [tex]w_i'[/tex] would require [tex]k[/tex] to grove without bound...

I'm just wondering whether anyone has ever done this exercise or has some tips on how to approach it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind the first part. I just realized that the inverse of a matrix has the same fixed points, so we get the required condition for the element s for negative exponents. This doesn't help with the second problem relating the sets though.

1. What is Exercise 56 in Chapter 1 of Lang's Algebra?

Exercise 56 in Chapter 1 of Lang's Algebra is a mathematical problem or exercise that is found in the first chapter of the algebra textbook written by Serge Lang. It is one of many exercises designed to help students practice and apply the concepts and techniques taught in the chapter.

2. What is the purpose of Exercise 56?

The purpose of Exercise 56 is to test the student's understanding of the material covered in Chapter 1 of Lang's Algebra. It may also serve as a way for students to practice and reinforce their skills in solving algebraic problems.

3. Is Exercise 56 a difficult exercise?

The difficulty level of Exercise 56 may vary depending on the individual student's understanding and proficiency in algebra. Some students may find it easy while others may find it challenging. It is recommended to attempt the exercise and seek help if needed.

4. How can I approach Exercise 56?

To approach Exercise 56, it is important to first understand the concepts and techniques taught in Chapter 1 of Lang's Algebra. Then, carefully read the instructions and identify the given information and what needs to be solved. It may be helpful to work through similar examples or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

5. What is the benefit of completing Exercise 56?

Completing Exercise 56 can help reinforce the concepts and techniques learned in Chapter 1 of Lang's Algebra. It can also improve problem-solving skills and prepare students for more challenging exercises and problems in the future.