1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explaination needed for Stoichiometric problem and is Al salt colorless?

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mass of element Q found in 1.00 mole of each of four different compounds is 38.0 grams, 57.0 grams, 76.0 grams, and 114 grams, respectively. A possible atomic weight of Q is

a) 12.7
    b 19.0
    c 27.5
    d 38.0

A solution is known to contain an inorganic salt of one of the following

elements. The solution is colorless. The solution contains a salt of:

(A) Cu (B) Mn (C) Fe (D) Ni (E) AL

I do not know the answer to this. I know Cu is blue, Mn is pale pink, Ni is green, Co is redish and Al is silver white.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I know the answer is b. 19.0 grams. However, I'm not 100% sure how to get that answer. I know that it's the only one when the compound masses are divided by it you receive whole numbers. Is that how i was supposed to do the problem? That doesn't make sense to me because other elements could have been in the compound..

THANK YOU :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that it says the mass of element Q in each sample - not the total mass of the sample!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook