Explanation for uncertainty principal?

In summary, the uncertainty principal can be explained in terms of quantum harmonic oscillators, which can change the shape of the probability distribution when the momentum is precisely constricted. This can be seen in a worked-out example provided in a post on Physics Forums.
scijeebus
Although the uncertainty principal can be written without quantum harmonic oscillators, it still happens when you consider them. Can the reason for the uncertainty principal be explained in terms of changing the equation?
If I have a completely undetermined momentum, I should have something like a sine wave who's maximum probability extends evenly and infinitely through space but still totals 1. But, if I begin to constrict the momentum more precisely by adding different probable frequencies, the shape changes from something that should look relatively monotonous to something that actually has more uneven "lumps" or more visibly defined maximums and minimums due to the fact that the probability still has to total 1. I can't figure out exactly why that step happens, but can it be generally explained like this?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle at the same time. This means that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg's theory was based on the mathematical and experimental work of other scientists, including Max Planck and Niels Bohr.

3. Why is the uncertainty principle important?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles and the nature of reality. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Can the uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It is a result of the inherent probabilistic nature of particles at the subatomic level.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to everyday life?

While the uncertainty principle is most commonly discussed in the context of quantum mechanics, its principles can be applied to everyday life as well. For example, it can help explain the unpredictability of certain systems and the limitations of our ability to measure and understand certain phenomena.