1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exploding Soap Bubbles: A question of gasses.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    So we're considering adding some soap bubbles to a fire-dancing show.

Why? Because soap bubbles are awesome!

But you know what's even _more_ awesome?

That's right! EXPLODING SOAP BUBBLES!

OK, so we don't really want them to explode (well, _I_ do, but apparently democracy rules), but we're thinking flammable lighter than air gasses.

Question:
    What would be our best bet? Methane, hydrogen, butane, propane, dynamite? Obviously, we'll want the safest, least volatile, commercially available alternative. And I have a feeling lighter than air is good, not just for the show, but considering the audience below us as well. Oh, and this is for outdoor shows only, in case you were wondering.

I figure there's bound to be someone here who knows more about this stuff than me - I don't think we discussed this much at uni (if we did I probably slept through that lecture) and the only experience I have with this stuff is old physics and chemistry teachers trying their hands at showmanship in high school - exploding balloons and all that jazz. Not much to go on.

I'm open for some discussion here, and feel free to post any and all warnings you can think of. Being a certified pyrotechnician doesn't mean I'm safety-smart. (If I was I'd still have eyebrows . . .)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hrmm. Have to looked to see which of those are lighter than air? I would guess that butane, methane, or something similar would be best, as they are readily available and not as dangerous as storing Hydrogen, but I don't know which ones are lighter than air off the top of my head.

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Well yeah, methane and hydrogen are lighter than air. Dynamite is not. =(

I wasn't sure if methane was available to the public here in Norway, but it looks as if it is. Which is great, as that was what we were hoping to use.

Anyone have any other ideas for what can or can't be used? We'd love to get more ideas for things to try out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook