Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely basic question for MATLAB's solve()

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1

Although I recently had a MATLAB class it didn't really touch on variable types or use of the solve() function, and now I'm stumped on an embarrassingly basic problem; I'm trying to solve an equation in this form, with the other variables defined as doubles:

This returns an "Explicit solution could not be found" warning and an empty answer set. From what I've been able to gather, the command attempts to solve the equation symbolically, and it works fine when I manually replace the variables with their numerical values, e.g:

Could anyone tell me how to make the command work without having to explicitly enter the numerical values?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2
    I think they use two different tool boxes, so they cant really be mashed together. I tried to do this the other day but couldnt.
  4. Dec 31, 2009 #3
    Any solutions for this issue?
  5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    perhaps a bit late, but I have an answer to your question. as I was looking into it myself and needed an answer as well.
    You can use the subs command to enter your variables.

DyS = some formula
    ByS =
    SvyS =
    EyS =
    CyS =

% or [alpha1] = solve(Eq,'alpha1')

There may be a more elegant solution, but this works.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?