Eye of the storm at Saturn's north pole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
stargazer3
Messages
44
Reaction score
3
Hi! I'm really excited about recent APoD picture, which shows Cassini's photo of a gigantic storm on Saturn's north pole. They also have an animation! I can't wait for a colour picture and videos.

Meanwhile, since I still didn't state the purpose of this thread, what are the inner vortex dimensions? NASA's webpage says the probe took the picture from four hundred thousand kilometers away, but I can't find anything about the storm size.

Also, the http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedetails/index.cfm?imageId=4679 image shows an evident hexogonal structure, what on Earth is it caused by?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
stargazer3 said:
Also, the http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/imagedetails/index.cfm?imageId=4679 image shows an evident hexogonal structure, what on Earth is it caused by?
I do not think it is caused by anything on earth.
Sorry, could not resist ;).

I found 25000km as diameter for the hexagonal structure. Comparing this with an image of both together, this would indicate ~2000km for the diameter of the inner part.
 
Now that is seriously impressive

thanks for the links :)

Dave