Fascinated by the space,stars,sky

• Thread starter shankar93
  • Start date
In summary: However, you may also want to consider taking courses in celestial mechanics, stellar dynamics, and numerical methods for astrophysics.
shankar93
Hello!
This is shankar doing my Undergraduate Course in Engineering..
Since childhood i`ve been quite fascinated by the space,stars,sky etc...
I took up BE course under Mechanical Stream now after finishing upon by high school...
NOw.. what i would like to know is whether Doing a Master`s in Astronomy or Astrophysics possible.. i don't really know if doing it after doing a Bachelor course under mechanical engineering make any sense at all.. but then being crazy about space stars n sky.. i just thought i`d rather confirm my doubt before jumping upon a conclusion.. So yeah Is it possible to do a Post graduate course under Astronomy After Engineering?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

"Is it possible to do a Post graduate course under Astronomy After Engineering?"

Absolutely! After all, orbits are generally exercises in Newtonian mechanics, and someone has to spec & design the telescopes. You might want to talk to someone in your astronomy department about which elective courses you should pursue.

On the down side, the biggest trick is going to be getting an astronomy-related job when you finish school. You might want to start checking out job ads in, say, the classified section of Physics Today, and try to start corresponding with people at various institutions.

You will definitely need to study on your own (or take elective courses in astronomy) in order to make it feasible. Walking into a graduate class in astronomy requires not only an undergraduate preparation in physics, but also familiarity with all the basic astrophysical concepts. So if you don't know what the chandrasekhar mass is, the hertzprung russel diagram, FRW universe, main sequence stars, galactic rotation curves, etc., it will be difficult. Fortunately, almost all this is covered in some detail in 2-3 undergraduate astronomy courses.

The core curriculum for an engineering degree is entirely compatible with astrophysics - you need lots of pure math and applied mathematics courses.

Hello Shankar, it's great to hear that you have a passion for space, stars, and the sky! Pursuing a Master's degree in Astronomy or Astrophysics is definitely possible after completing your Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering. In fact, many universities offer graduate programs in Astronomy and Astrophysics for students from various backgrounds, including engineering. Your background in engineering may even provide a unique perspective and skillset in the field of space exploration and research. I would recommend researching different universities and their specific requirements for their graduate programs in Astronomy and Astrophysics. Additionally, reaching out to professors or professionals in the field for advice and guidance can also be helpful in making your decision. Ultimately, following your passion and interests is key in finding a fulfilling career path. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

What is space?

Space refers to the vast expanse beyond Earth's atmosphere, where stars, planets, and other celestial bodies are located.

What are stars?

Stars are large, luminous spheres of gas that emit light and heat through nuclear fusion.

How many stars are in the sky?

It is estimated that there are over 100 billion stars in our own galaxy, the Milky Way. However, the total number of stars in the observable universe is estimated to be around 1 septillion (1 followed by 24 zeros).

What is the difference between a star and a planet?

A star is a massive, luminous object that produces its own light through nuclear fusion, while a planet is a smaller object that orbits a star and reflects light from the star.

Why are we fascinated by the sky?

Many people are fascinated by the sky because it is constantly changing and holds many mysteries and wonders, such as the vastness of space, the beauty of stars and galaxies, and the potential for discovering new worlds and life forms.