Fast Radio Bursts (FBR) detected in our own Galaxy

In summary, FRBs from a magnetar known as SGR 1935+2154, located about 30,000 light years away, have been detected by astronomers. This magnetar is a typical superdense core of neutron material and is not considered particularly special. However, it does have a very strong magnetic field, with a strength of 10^15 Gauss, making it powerful enough to stick objects to a refrigerator. The research paper discussing this discovery is available for a fee, but a shorter article is available for free on Nature's website.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Likes Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
FRBs apparently from "...a “run-of-the-mill” magnetar.

Hah, just one of those 'everyday' superdense cores of neutron material, nothing special at all. You can find them at every travel mart on the east coast!

Drakkith said:
Hah, just one of those 'everyday' superdense cores of neutron material, nothing special at all. You can find them at every travel mart on the east coast!
Can you please ship me about a kilogram of the stuff?
If not, where can I place an order?

Tom.G said:

Sure, but the shipping and handling cost is so large it might collapse in on itself.

Drakkith said:
Sure, but the shipping and handling cost is so large it might collapse in on itself.
:cry:

Likes Drakkith
Tom.G said:
I did. Maybe you simply didn't find the ##1.5\,\mu m^3 ## piece in the envelope.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and Drakkith
Tom.G said:
Actually, I'd like one of those magnets made from the stuff. At 10^15 Gauss, it should be good for sticking stuff to the refrigerator without it falling off.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
phyzguy said:
Actually, I'd like one of those magnets made from the stuff. At 10^15 Gauss, it should be good for sticking stuff to the refrigerator without it falling off.

Yes, I've always wanted to stick a Boeing 747 to my fridge.

• Haha
Likes glappkaeft, phyzguy and fresh_42

1. What are Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs)?

Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs) are mysterious and brief bursts of radio waves that are detected in space. They typically last only a few milliseconds and emit a large amount of energy in a short amount of time.

2. How are FRBs detected in our own Galaxy?

FRBs are detected using radio telescopes, which are large dishes that collect radio waves from space. These telescopes can pick up the faint signals of FRBs, which are often coming from distant galaxies.

3. What causes Fast Radio Bursts?

The exact cause of FRBs is still unknown, but scientists have proposed several theories. Some believe they could be caused by highly magnetized neutron stars, while others suggest they could be the result of colliding black holes or even advanced alien civilizations.

4. Are Fast Radio Bursts dangerous?

FRBs are not considered dangerous as they are extremely far away and the energy they emit is spread out over a large area. However, studying FRBs can help us better understand the universe and the processes that occur within it.

5. What can we learn from Fast Radio Bursts detected in our own Galaxy?

Studying FRBs can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of our own Galaxy. By analyzing the properties of the bursts, scientists can gain insights into the magnetic fields, density, and distribution of matter in our Milky Way.