Fast Radio Bursts (FBR) detected in our own Galaxy

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Galaxy Radio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
5,661
Reaction score
4,509
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
FRBs apparently from "...a “run-of-the-mill” magnetar.

Hah, just one of those 'everyday' superdense cores of neutron material, nothing special at all. You can find them at every travel mart on the east coast!
 
Drakkith said:
Hah, just one of those 'everyday' superdense cores of neutron material, nothing special at all. You can find them at every travel mart on the east coast!
Can you please ship me about a kilogram of the stuff?
If not, where can I place an order?
 
Tom.G said:
Can you please ship me about a kilogram of the stuff?
If not, where can I place an order?

Sure, but the shipping and handling cost is so large it might collapse in on itself.
 
Drakkith said:
Sure, but the shipping and handling cost is so large it might collapse in on itself.
:cry:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith
Tom.G said:
Can you please ship me about a kilogram of the stuff?
I did. Maybe you simply didn't find the ##1.5\,\mu m^3 ## piece in the envelope.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Drakkith
Tom.G said:
Can you please ship me about a kilogram of the stuff?
If not, where can I place an order?
Actually, I'd like one of those magnets made from the stuff. At 10^15 Gauss, it should be good for sticking stuff to the refrigerator without it falling off.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
phyzguy said:
Actually, I'd like one of those magnets made from the stuff. At 10^15 Gauss, it should be good for sticking stuff to the refrigerator without it falling off.

Yes, I've always wanted to stick a Boeing 747 to my fridge.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: glappkaeft, phyzguy and fresh_42