Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few questions about series solution of ODEs

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    Consider the ODE [itex]x(x-1)y''-xy'+y=0[/itex].

I need help in identifying the method of solution (power series or frobenius) for this ODE.

Using the formulae [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→x_{o}}}\frac{q(x)+r(x)}{p(x)}[/itex] and [itex]\stackrel{limit}{_{x→x_{o}}}\frac{(x-x_{o})q(x)+(x-x_{o})^{2}r(x)}{p(x)}[/itex] , where p(x)=x(x-1), q(x)=-x, and r(x)=1, I have worked out the following:

My question is: How do I use this data to find out which solution method to use?

I am guessing that since the problem equation has a regular singular point besides having a singular point, we will drop the power series method and use the Frobenius method of solution. Am I right?

Another question: Which regular singular point do we choose if there are more than one regular singular points for an ODE?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2
    Hi !
    An obvious solution of the ODE is y=x.
    So, in order to find a second solution, let y=x*f(x) where f(x) is an unknown function. Bring it back into the ODE
    This leads to a first order ODE easy to solve, which gives f '(x). The integration leads to f(x)=ln(x)+1/x, then y(x)= 1+x*ln(x)
    The general solution of the ODE is y=a*x+b*(1+x*ln(x)) where a and b are constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook