Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Vote-Your City/Neighborhood Photo Contest

Final Vote - Your City/Neighborhood

Poll closed May 17, 2006.
  1. ZapperZ

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. hypatia

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Mk

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. hypnagogue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. larkspur

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Burnsys

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Ivan Seeking

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. 0TheSwerve0

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  9. Loseyourname

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. May 12, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is the final vote for the top vote-getters in this contest. You only have ONE vote.

ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

hypatia
    [​IMG]

Mk
    [​IMG]

hypnagogue
    [​IMG]

larkspur
    [​IMG]

Burnsys
    [​IMG]

Ivan Seeking
    [​IMG]

0TheSwerve0
    [​IMG]

loseyourname
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2
    It was close between Ivan Seeking and Loseyourname but in the end I had to go with Ivanseeking. All the pictures were terrific though, very hard to choose!

4. May 12, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wish to know the rules of this particular contest in order to decide which qualifies.

I suspect most of these shots aren't really neighbourhood or city shots, hm?

5. May 12, 2006 #4
    Mine actually is, right from the 3rd floor deck of my house (I'm standing next to the jacuzzi!)

6. May 12, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The boat at the bottom portion of Swerve's picture is her dad's. We've been out on it several times. The field I took a picture of is across the street from me. Further to the left, there is a strawberry field, and further to the right, more cow pastures. If I moved west a bit, then I'd get into the Santa Rosa suburbs, but I'm confident in saying my neighborhood is mostly grass and hills. In a few months, there will be grapes and strawberries as well.

We don't all live in cities, and Swerve can't help it that she lives on a marina island.

7. May 12, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I had to stick with Swerve; it's an awesome picture. Plus, she had the decency to exclude LYN from the shot. :tongue:

8. May 12, 2006 #7
    The Swerve's photo is just amazing. Where's that from?

9. May 12, 2006 #8
    Long Beach, CA (near Belmont Shore)

10. May 15, 2006 #9

J77

Voted for hypatia because I feel it's the only one which conveys the neighbourhood theme - the others are too general for me.

11. May 15, 2006 #10
    haha, the theme of my neighborhood is Venice. I did have a pic with a gondolier, but the colors weren't as nice. Guess I should have done the canals instead.

12. May 16, 2006 #11

J77

Is that Venice!?! :surprised

Looks like the Bahamas! :smile:

13. May 16, 2006 #12
    Venice Beach already took the name Venice...so they called my neighborhood Naples instead. Apparently, the whole area was swampy land, and they just filled it in and built houses on it. It's slowly sinking, and if the Long Beach breakwater wall weren't there, my house would be wiped out by the tides!

14. May 16, 2006 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a reminder that you have one day left to vote if you haven't done so. The voting so far has been very close, so every vote counts!

[No hanging chads]

Zz.

15. May 16, 2006 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Same here.

While the other pictures are very nice, I found Hypatia's the most... meaningful.

16. May 16, 2006 #15

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

where's the location for the picture submitted by 0TheSwerve0

17. May 16, 2006 #16
  18. May 16, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, at least with some of the choices eliminated, it made this half as difficult. :rolleyes: I finally decided to go with Burnsys. It was a tough call between his, with almost surreal looking cool colors, and TheSwerve's rich, warm colors. Both looked like places I'd love to visit (I liked Ivan's snowscape, but had to give it a ding for making me feel cold :tongue:, and LYN's is quite nice too, but the scenery looks the same just down the road from me here, so the more exotic looking photos got more of my interest). Great job everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?