1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a statement S, based on P, Q, and R, that is represented by the truth table

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong section to post, not sure where in homework help for logic is suppose to be post.

Otherwise, I have no idea how to approach this problem, I just make an equation and hope and pray it matches the results of S, or try and keep adding statements to bring the desired results. I manage to match S almost all except for 1 of the rows, but I cannot just change that one.
    If anyone can help, or give me suggestions on how to approach this problem. That would be great!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Create some statement EX) (P v Q) where the final results are S.
    Code (Text):

P Q R S
    ---------------
    T T T F
    T T F F
    T F T T
    F T T F
    T F F T
    F T F F
    F F T F
    F F F T
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Some of the equations I have tried, but failed:
    ((R & Q) V P) => Q) v R
    ~(~P V Q ) <--> R ) -> P
    (~(P => Q ) & R => Q)
    Almost all three of these equations have resulted in a match except for one of the columns.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Have you learned how to use Karnaugh Maps in your logic class? I don't know if you use them, but we use them in logic circuit design to come up with the logic equation from the Truth Table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook