Find a statement S, based on P, Q, and R, that is represented by the truth table

  • Thread starter Thread starter snipekiller
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Table Truth table
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
snipekiller
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong section to post, not sure where in homework help for logic is suppose to be post.

Otherwise, I have no idea how to approach this problem, I just make an equation and hope and pray it matches the results of S, or try and keep adding statements to bring the desired results. I manage to match S almost all except for 1 of the rows, but I cannot just change that one.
If anyone can help, or give me suggestions on how to approach this problem. That would be great!

Homework Statement



Create some statement EX) (P v Q) where the final results are S.
Code:
P Q R S
---------------
T T T F
T T F F
T F T T
F T T F
T F F T
F T F F
F F T F
F F F T

The Attempt at a Solution


Some of the equations I have tried, but failed:
((R & Q) V P) => Q) v R
~(~P V Q ) <--> R ) -> P
(~(P => Q ) & R => Q)
Almost all three of these equations have resulted in a match except for one of the columns.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
snipekiller said:
Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong section to post, not sure where in homework help for logic is suppose to be post.

Otherwise, I have no idea how to approach this problem, I just make an equation and hope and pray it matches the results of S, or try and keep adding statements to bring the desired results. I manage to match S almost all except for 1 of the rows, but I cannot just change that one.
If anyone can help, or give me suggestions on how to approach this problem. That would be great!

Homework Statement



Create some statement EX) (P v Q) where the final results are S.
Code:
P Q R S
---------------
T T T F
T T F F
T F T T
F T T F
T F F T
F T F F
F F T F
F F F T

The Attempt at a Solution


Some of the equations I have tried, but failed:
((R & Q) V P) => Q) v R
~(~P V Q ) <--> R ) -> P
(~(P => Q ) & R => Q)
Almost all three of these equations have resulted in a match except for one of the columns.

Have you learned how to use Karnaugh Maps in your logic class? I don't know if you use them, but we use them in logic circuit design to come up with the logic equation from the Truth Table:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

.