Find all values of a where x³+ax+4−2×2016ⁿ=0 has integer roots

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter anemone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2017
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Messages
3,851
Reaction score
115
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Suppose $n \ge 0$ and all the roots of $x^3+ax+4-(2\times 2016^n)=0$ are integers. Find all possible values of $a$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MHB!

I want to apologize for the $n$ for this week problem should be always greater than or equal to zero, rather than it is a positive integer and I have made the respective change to above post.

I am truly sorry for making this typo and I hope this clears some members confusion and I am looking forward to receive more submissions to this week problem!
 
Congratulations to castor28 for his correct solution! (Smile)

Suggested solution:
Let the integer roots of the equation be $m,\,n$ and $k$. Then by Vieta's formulas, we have

$m+n+k=0,\,mn+nk+km=a,\,mnk=2\times 2016^n-4$.

Assume that $n\ge 1$, then $7 \nmid m,\,n,\,k$ and from $(m+n+k)^3=0$ we get

$m^3+n^3+k^3=3mnk\equiv 2(\mod 7)$

Note that the non-zero cubic residues modulo 7 are 1 and 6 and so we cannot have $m^3+n^3+k^3=3mnk\equiv 2(\mod 7)$.

Thus $n=0$, $\therefore m+n+k=0$ and $mnk=-2$, which gives $(m,\,n,\,k)=(1,\,1,\,-2)$ and its cyclic permutations.

Therefore $a=-3$.