Find an A and b such that Ax=b has the solution set......

• MHB
  • Thread starter TomSavage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the solution set for the given problem involves expressing x3 and x4 in terms of x1 and x2, creating a matrix and getting the integers to the other side, and then using the values to create a new matrix and vector to solve for x1, x2, x3, and x4. This method is used because it simplifies the equations and allows for easier solving.
TomSavage
the solution set for the problem is

x1=s+1

x2=t-2

x3=2s+2t

x4=s-t+1I was thinking that I would have to isolate all the variables to one side and create a matrix and then get all the integers to another side and multiply them in order to get b but that doesn't seem correct to me. Can anyone show me/tell me how to complete this and more importantly why it is completed the way that they are showing, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TomSavage.

By inspecting the equations, the easiest thing to do first would be to express $x_3$ and $x_4$ in terms of $x_1$ and $x_2$:
$$x_3=2s+2t=2(s+1)+2(t-2)+2=2x_1+2x_2+2 \\ x_4=s-t+1=(s+1)-(t-2)-2=x_1-x_2-2.$$
So
$$\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 2x_1+2x_2+2 \\ x_1-x_2-2 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 2 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}$$
Hence you can take
$$\mathbf A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 2 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ -2 & -2 & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}$$
and
$$\mathbf b=\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}.$$

Olinguito said:
$$\mathbf A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 2 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ -2 & -2 & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}$$
There's something here I'm not following. Why are you doing the line above? I don't understand how that's supposed to work.

Thanks!

-Dan

In
Olinguito said:
$$\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 2x_1+2x_2+2 \\ x_1-x_2-2 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 2 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & -1 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}$$
the LHS is
$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix}.$$

Olinguito said:
In

the LHS is
$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \\ x_4 \end{pmatrix}.$$
So obvious! Thanks for explaining that. :)

-Dan

1. How do you find an A and b such that Ax=b has a solution set?

In order for Ax=b to have a solution set, A must be a square matrix and b must be a vector in the same dimension as the number of rows in A. To find specific values for A and b, you can use Gaussian elimination or other matrix operations to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown variables.

2. Can Ax=b have multiple solutions?

Yes, Ax=b can have multiple solutions if the number of unknown variables is greater than the number of equations. This results in a system of equations that is underdetermined and has an infinite number of solutions.

3. What if Ax=b has no solution?

If Ax=b has no solution, it means that the system of equations is inconsistent. This can happen if the number of equations is greater than the number of unknown variables, resulting in a system that is overdetermined and has no solution.

4. Can you use any values for A and b to find a solution for Ax=b?

No, for Ax=b to have a solution set, A must be an invertible matrix. This means that the determinant of A must not be equal to 0. Additionally, b must be a vector in the same dimension as the number of rows in A.

5. How can you check if a given A and b will result in a solution for Ax=b?

You can check if a given A and b will result in a solution for Ax=b by using matrix operations to solve for the unknown variables. If you are able to find specific values for the unknown variables, then the given A and b will result in a solution for Ax=b.